Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Where can I find data on electrical conductivity?

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    Hi folks,

I purchased two books on electric transport at the nanoscale and unfortunately I just found theoretical models and formalism... but the actual data from the experiments was not there.

So I am curious about it, I am looking for information on nanowires, quantum dots etc and I would like to know their electric conductivity.

Do you know where can I find that kind of data?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You look them up in tables of electrical properties ... try a college library.
    Not all materials will be listed - especially not experimental ones. In those cases you measure the properties in your sample, or canvass the current literature hoping someone else has done it for you.

4. Nov 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I opened this thread after searching the current literature. I purchased two books and I don't want to spend more money before being absolutely sure I get the information.

5. Nov 6, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Curious - since I answered right after a cursory glance over the lit and found a lot of articles on the electrical properties of carbon nanotubes.
    You may need to hunt through the publications for exactly the details you need ...

6. Nov 7, 2016 #5
    I don't understand why you don't give a link to the website where you found it. Why not?

7. Nov 7, 2016 #6

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Those kind of results are probably too recent to be in books. What you have to do, as @Simon Bridge said, is look in the published literature. Go to Google Scholar and start digging!

8. Nov 7, 2016 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because I'm not psychic. You are the only one who knows the specific information you are looking for and what it is for. Without that I cannot confidently link you to the kind of information you need.

Have you tried -
    Smalley R and Dresselhaus M et al (Springer 2003):
    Carbon nanotubes: synthesis, structure, properties, and applications ?
    It's on the 1st page of hits for "electrical properties of carbon nanotubes" in google scholar.
    The same page includes papers about electrical transport.

Not good enough? I provided that example because I admit I have a burden of proof to my claim that these papers exist and are easy to find ... however, please understand that it is not my job to do your legwork for you. Go hunt - this is a core skill and you can only learn it by doing.

Mind you, you always have the option of paying someone to do it for you...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  9. Nov 7, 2016 #8
    Well, as I said it is very simple, I want to understand what electrical conductivity is at quantum level. I read two books and incredibly they didn't show experimental data, the entire book is dedicated to formalism.

I will purchase that book, hopefully they will show the data for those nanostructures.

I know it is not your job, indeed nobody should do my work.

But internet is an immense resource, there are thousands of books, thousands of websites, hundreds of journals and I thought that maybe someone here could know a good website or resource with electrical conductivity data. That is all I need, a list showing:

1 atom Hydrogen: conductivity x ohms meter as function of temperature
    A nanowire made of A material: conductivity x ohms meter as function of temperature

And the same for several nanowires (superconducting, metallic, semiconducting, insulating).

The same for quantum dots.

I have been searching with terms like "database" , "list", "table", but I found individual papers, not a list with all of them.

Anyway thanks for your help and I hope not to bother you.

10. Nov 7, 2016 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No - you will not find a list with all of them ... what is your education level? Do you understand what such a list would entail?
    There is no option but to go through individual papers unless the specific material you want to know about is one of the older, more usual, ones.

The trick is usually to be oblique - like look for "X properties of common Y" where X is the type of property you want to know about and Y is the type of stuff you want. There will likely be some paper that has a list, or will cite other papers with the stuff you want. Don't expect one source to have what you want.
    ie. http://www.phys.nthu.edu.tw/c_teacher/jtlue/review nanomaterials.pdf

11. Nov 8, 2016 #10
    I know I will never find a kind of complete or full list, but a representative list I thought that maybe was possible.

I know it is a different topic, these are fundamental properties of matter, but I guess maybe something like that could exist:

http://www-pdg.lbl.gov/2016/AtomicNuclearProperties/index.html

THanks for the link, I will read it!

12. Nov 10, 2016 #11
    Google "electrical conductivity of metals and nanomaterials." Appears promising.

Select Images.

DC

13. Nov 10, 2016 #12
    There are a lot of paid sources folk, and specific links also. I look for a kind of database.

14. Nov 11, 2016 #13
  15. Nov 12, 2016 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Er... I hate to tell you this, but (i) the CRC handbook is well-known, but (ii) it will probably not have what you want, especially considering that what you are looking for are still being measured and being refined.

Again, I will echo what has been stated. Why aren't you doing a proper journal literature search? And what is this electrical conductivity of "1 atom hydrogen"? What is the electrical conductivity of ANY one atom object?

There are many things that do not make any sense in your question.

Zz.

16. Nov 12, 2016 #15
    Yes, I am as surprised as you. I don't remember where I read it but it was a sentence like this:

"Experimental physics has advanced so much that it is even possible to meassure the electric conductivity of a single atom".

I promise you I read that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted