Where can I find low-profile multi-axis rocker switches or joysticks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Switch
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,943
Reaction score
1,575
Can anyone point me to a source of multi-axis rocker switches? Similar to a joystick, but a lower profile. A joystick is acceptable too, but most have too high of a profile. The handle should ideally be no higher than about 3/4 inch. I've tried the obvious sources through www.globalspec.com and have done some googling but come up with only one 2 axis rocker from Penny Giles. Thanks in advance.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Allied Electronics has just about everything.

How about this?
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=948-0343&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=04A%2DB01&R=948%2D0343&sid=47476980905E17F&tab=overview#tab

Data sheets:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/948-0343.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You could also just obtain a cheap joystick and cut the handle off...
 
That one from Grayhill looks pretty promising. I do recall seeing it while looking for another product and couldn't remember where I had seen it. I don't see an IP rating on it though and it needs to live outdoors. There are joysticks out there that have IP ratings suitable for being exposed to a high pressure water jet. I would prefer one like that. I don't think the Grayhill joystick looks good enough to survive outdoors. I could be wrong, I'll look into it.
-
Danger, this switch is to be used in production. I'm not ready to cut the handle off of anything just yet.
 
Last edited:
Membrane keypads generally aren't available off-the-shelf, but if anyone knows of anything I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure what tool-up costs are and if it would be worth it for smaller quantities. A membrane keypad with 4 keys could certainly replace a joystick.
 
Ah, I thought that this was just a personal project. How about trying to find a source for those obsolete Mattel Intellivision consols? The controllers were just basic joystick internals, but with a disk on top rather than a stick. How many do you need?