Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I find regulators and more?

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    I need a 5-volt regulator (78L05), a hall sensor (SS495), an op-amp (LM348), and a P-channel MOSFET (IRF4905)? I need all these things for a magnetic levitron that I'm going to build. Do I have to get those exact models? (They are specified on the website that has the circuit scheme for it http://www.bis0uhr.de/index.htm?htt...sicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=643270&page=3).
    Thanks for your help
    PS. Just so you know, I'm very new at all of this, so forgive me if all the things I'm asking are really obvious.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there :)

the parts should be readily available from places like Mouser, Digikey, Element14 etc

the 78L05 needs to be that else you wont get 5 Volts the difference between 78L05 and 7805 is just the package size

the opamp could probably be varied a bit, the 741 is a very old one now the 348 a bit newer

cheers
    Dave

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    Thanks very much, that's exactly the info I needed. Is mouser a reliable site?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4
    Also, the IRF4905 isn't available. Would the IRF4905LPBF be OK? What difference does the LPBF make?

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

The part IRF4905LPbF is a HEXFET power mosfet transistor. Download the eleven-page data sheet at:

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/177507/IRF/IRF4905LPBF.html

Your part number suffix is for the TO-262 Package type. For a description of that see page ten of the datasheet.

You should print the complete datasheet and study it carefully. Everything about that part you need to know is there. This helps your understanding and makes it easier in the future while selecting parts for your next projects.

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

edit: Yes, Mouser is a reliable site to buy parts from. It's been around many years!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook