Where can I find the formula for the relavistic rocket equation?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the formula for the relativistic rocket equation and the mass of fuel required for a given acceleration. The participants discuss the potential of fusion as a fuel source and someone shares a webpage that addresses the topic. The classical and relativistic versions of the rocket equation are mentioned, as well as the efficiency and mass defect. The conversation ends with someone expressing gratitude for the information provided.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find the formula for the relavistic rocket equation? That is, I want to know the mass of fuel required to accelerate a rocket from 0 to β, for a given acceleration A, assuming the rocket (with no fuel) has a mass of M. All of this would be in the frame of the Earth. I know there are several types of proposed Sci-Fi fuels but I think fusion is the most promising. A reliable webpage would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The classical rocket equation

[itex]v_{class.} = p_{sp} \cdot \ln \frac{{m_0 }}{m}[/itex]

can be upgraded to a relativistic version by

[itex]v_{rel.} = \frac{{v_{class.} }}{{\sqrt {1 + \frac{{v_{class.}^2 }}{{c^2 }}} }}[/itex]

and

[itex]p_{sp.} = c \cdot \sqrt {\left[ {2 + \left( {\eta - 2} \right) \cdot d} \right] \cdot \eta \cdot d}[/itex]

where [itex]d[/itex] is the mass defect and [itex]\eta[/itex] the efficiency.

Oh hey guys great! Thanks! I think that will do it.

What is the Relativistic Rocket Equation?

The Relativistic Rocket Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a rocket in terms of its velocity and mass, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

How is the Relativistic Rocket Equation derived?

The Relativistic Rocket Equation is derived from the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It takes into account the relationship between the rocket's velocity, mass, and the speed of light.

What are the assumptions made in the Relativistic Rocket Equation?

The Relativistic Rocket Equation assumes that the rocket is travelling in a vacuum with no external forces acting on it, and that the rocket's engines are providing a constant thrust. It also assumes that the rocket's mass is changing due to the ejection of propellant.

What is the significance of the Relativistic Rocket Equation?

The Relativistic Rocket Equation is significant because it allows us to accurately predict the motion of a rocket at high speeds, taking into account the effects of special relativity. This is important for space travel and understanding the behavior of objects moving at near-light speeds.

How is the Relativistic Rocket Equation used in real-world applications?

The Relativistic Rocket Equation is used in the design and navigation of spacecraft, as well as in the study of astrophysics and cosmology. It is also used in the development of particle accelerators and other high-speed technologies.