• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Where can I learn to type math script(?)

I am just posting this because my prof sent me an email with weird letters and I want to see if i can read it here...Please disregard unless you can tell me where I can go to copy and paste this so it makes sense

WLOG assume both secuences are bounded by the same number M > 0. Then, choose \epsilon' = (\epsilon)/(2M). For \epsilon' there is n_1, and n_2 such that for
n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon' (the sequence <x_n> is Cauchy)
as well as
n, m > n_2 ---> |y_n - y_m| < \epsilon' (<y_n> is Cauchy)
But then for n_0 = max {n_1, n_2} we have
|x_ny_n - x_my_m| < M(|x_n - x_m| + |y_n - y_m|) < M(\epsilon' + \epsilon')
= M((\epsilon)/(2M) + (\epsilon)/(2M)) = \epsilon.
Done.

Answers and Replies

AH! It didn't work....

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am just posting this because my prof sent me an email with weird letters and I want to see if i can read it here...Please disregard unless you can tell me where I can go to copy and paste this so it makes sense

WLOG assume both secuences are bounded by the same number M > 0. Then, choose \epsilon' = (\epsilon)/(2M). For \epsilon' there is n_1, and n_2 such that for
n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon' (the sequence <x_n> is Cauchy)
as well as
n, m > n_2 ---> |y_n - y_m| < \epsilon' (<y_n> is Cauchy)
But then for n_0 = max {n_1, n_2} we have
|x_ny_n - x_my_m| < M(|x_n - x_m| + |y_n - y_m|) < M(\epsilon' + \epsilon')
= M((\epsilon)/(2M) + (\epsilon)/(2M)) = \epsilon.
Done.
AH! It didn't work....
Note that you can preview your posts before posting them to see if they are going to work. Make sure you have pressed the Advanced button under the edit box. Also notice the [itex]\Sigma[/itex] icon above the edit box that will help you with entering symbols.

[Edit] Nevermind. I think I misunderstood your post.

Well I don't mean just symbols and greek letters.....
Like how would i get {a_n} to appear with the n as an subscript or like a square root to appear instead of typing sqrt(x) or whatever?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It's a pain, but you can use the quote button, then edit his text by putting (itex)(/itex) tags around all the math expressions. But use [] and [] instead of the round parentheses; I just put them in so you could see them. Then preview the post. Here's a sample:

[itex]n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon[/itex]

Right click on it to see it.

WLOG assume both sequences are bounded by the same number M > 0. Then, choose [itex]\epsilon' = (\epsilon)/(2M)[/itex]. For [itex]\epsilon'[/itex] there is [itex] n_1 and n_2 [/itex] such that for
[itex]n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon'[/itex] (the sequence [itex]<x_n>[/itex] is Cauchy)

as well as

[itex]n, m > n_2 ---> |y_n - y_m| < \epsilon'[/itex] (<y_n> is Cauchy)

But then for [itex]n_0[/itex] = max {[itex]n_1, n_2[/itex]} we have

[itex]|x_ny_n - x_my_m| < M(|x_n - x_m| + |y_n - y_m|) < M(\epsilon' + \epsilon')
= M((\epsilon)/(2M) + (\epsilon)/(2M)) = \epsilon[/itex]
Done.

Okay, so everytime I see post like that, that means someone took there time to type up there post like that?? I figured there was an easier way to do it lol

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Okay, so everytime I see post like that, that means someone took there time to type up there post like that?? I figured there was an easier way to do it lol
Yes. You've got it figured out.