1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I learn to type math script(?)

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    I am just posting this because my prof sent me an email with weird letters and I want to see if i can read it here...Please disregard unless you can tell me where I can go to copy and paste this so it makes sense

WLOG assume both secuences are bounded by the same number M > 0. Then, choose \epsilon' = (\epsilon)/(2M). For \epsilon' there is n_1, and n_2 such that for
    n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon' (the sequence <x_n> is Cauchy)
    as well as
    n, m > n_2 ---> |y_n - y_m| < \epsilon' (<y_n> is Cauchy)
    But then for n_0 = max {n_1, n_2} we have
    |x_ny_n - x_my_m| < M(|x_n - x_m| + |y_n - y_m|) < M(\epsilon' + \epsilon')
    = M((\epsilon)/(2M) + (\epsilon)/(2M)) = \epsilon.
    Done.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    AH! It didn't work....

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that you can preview your posts before posting them to see if they are going to work. Make sure you have pressed the Advanced button under the edit box. Also notice the [itex]\Sigma[/itex] icon above the edit box that will help you with entering symbols.

[Edit] Nevermind. I think I misunderstood your post.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4
    Well I don't mean just symbols and greek letters.....
    Like how would i get {a_n} to appear with the n as an subscript or like a square root to appear instead of typing sqrt(x) or whatever?

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a pain, but you can use the quote button, then edit his text by putting (itex)(/itex) tags around all the math expressions. But use [] and [] instead of the round parentheses; I just put them in so you could see them. Then preview the post. Here's a sample:

[itex]n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon[/itex]

Right click on it to see it.

7. Nov 21, 2011 #6

Okay, so everytime I see post like that, that means someone took there time to type up there post like that?? I figured there was an easier way to do it lol

8. Nov 21, 2011 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You've got it figured out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook