Where can I study (research) Loop Quantum Gravity?

In summary,Thank you for opening this Thread. I am kind of new here and this is my first time to post, so I apologize if I did something wrong.So my question is where can I study/ research Loop Quantum Gravity. I have checked fair amount of grad school websites and compared to Super String, I have not yet found a place where they openly say they research LQG. Currently, I am an undergrad in Japan and may start my Bachelor thesis in a year. Since i am considering to get a PhD in physics, I thought it would be great to see what kind of grad school actually research on what I am interested in.Thank you for reading and it will be great if you
KayLepton
Thank you for opening this Thread
I am kind of new here and this is my first time to post so I apologize if I did something wrong

So my question is where can I study/ research Loop Quantum Gravity
I have checked fair amount of grad school websites and compared to Super String, I have not yet found a place where they openly say they research LQG
Currently I am a undergrad in Japan and possibly start my Bachelor thesis in a year
Since i am considering to get a PhD in physics I thought it would be great to see what kind of grad school actually research on what I am interested in

Thank you for reading and It will be great if you could answer my question

Physics news on Phys.org
LSU does work in LQG I believe.

axmls said:
LSU does work in LQG I believe.
I guess that is Louisiana State University and would that research lab be Professor Singh's lab? Thank you very much !

KayLepton said:
I guess that is Louisiana State University and would that research lab be Professor Singh's lab? Thank you very much !

Er... one doesn't do research work in LQG in a "lab". After all, what "experiment" can there be since this all highly theoretical and hypothetical?

Coming back to your original question, if you are already at this stage, then you should have read several papers in this area, and especially in the specific topic that you are interested in. Weren't you able to look at those papers and check the affiliations of the authors? That is the quickest way to know who is doing what, and at what institution.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... one doesn't do research work in LQG in a "lab". After all, what "experiment" can there be since this all highly theoretical and hypothetical?

Coming back to your original question, if you are already at this stage, then you should have read several papers in this area, and especially in the specific topic that you are interested in. Weren't you able to look at those papers and check the affiliations of the authors? That is the quickest way to know who is doing what, and at what institution.

Zz.
thank you for your reply
Ah come to think of it
yes the word i shouldve used is the word institution, didnt come to mind

I didnt think of that, and I guess I will try it out
Though it would be nice not to just learn not only which institution researches LQG but also which institution is good at/ put strength to LQG research

Anyway Thank You for your advice!

1. What is Loop Quantum Gravity?

Loop Quantum Gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that space and time are quantized, or made up of discrete units, rather than being continuous as described by general relativity.

2. Where can I find information about Loop Quantum Gravity?

There are many resources available for studying Loop Quantum Gravity, including books, scientific journals, and online articles. Some reputable sources include the books "Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli and "Loop Quantum Gravity: The First 30 Years" by Abhay Ashtekar, as well as the journal "Classical and Quantum Gravity."

3. Are there universities or institutes that specialize in Loop Quantum Gravity research?

Yes, there are several universities and research institutes that have active programs in Loop Quantum Gravity research. Some notable examples include Penn State University, Louisiana State University, and the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics in Germany.

4. Can I study Loop Quantum Gravity as an undergraduate student?

While most undergraduate programs do not offer courses specifically focused on Loop Quantum Gravity, students can still study the fundamentals of this theory through courses in physics, mathematics, and quantum mechanics. It is also possible to participate in research internships or work with a faculty member on a related project.

5. What career paths are available for those who study Loop Quantum Gravity?

Individuals who study Loop Quantum Gravity often pursue careers in academia, working as professors or researchers at universities or institutes. Other career options include working in the private sector, such as for technology or aerospace companies, or in government agencies that conduct research in physics and cosmology.