1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I work with my degree?

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1
    Where can I work with my degree?????

Hi guys, this is my first post ever so be gentle. I am currently in my 2nd year of an Engineering Physics degree at Colorado School of Mines and am planning on getting a Masters in Microelectronic Materials. Where can engineering physicists work in the world? Is there tons of places or not really? Thanks a bunch.

Mickey

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2
    Re: Where can I work with my degree?????

just bumping this back up to the top to see if I get any responses....

thanks

4. Apr 10, 2009 #3

Hey, I graduated from an engineering physics program ...

So the bad news is, unless you're going for a PhD and plan on doing research or working for one of the few places that have their own fabrication facilities, you probably won't be working in your field.

Most people ended up getting jobs as electrical engineers (ie: doing FPGA stuff, embedded software development, etc). That's also why after engineering physics I did a masters in electrical ;)

Subversive Guide to Engineering
    http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com

5. Apr 10, 2009 #4

The U.K. institute of physics had a publication listing where physics graduates work so it may be worthwhile checking out whether there is something similar in the U.S.

6. Apr 10, 2009 #5

It all depends on how well you can sell yourself. You have to look at the skill set you'll have when you graduate, and what companies can use that skill set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?