Where can you buy a cheap liquid nitrogen dewar?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a Dewar or vacuum flask for liquid nitrogen under $50. The person asking the question wants to use it to cool down a superconductor, but has no experience with cryogenics. They are advised to seek supervision from someone with more knowledge and experience, and the thread is closed.
chasbissell
I want to find a Dewar or vacuum flask for liquid nitrogen under $50. Does anyone have any recommendations where to buy one?

Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
chasbissell said:
I want to find a Dewar or vacuum flask for liquid nitrogen under $50. Does anyone have any recommendations where to buy one?
What size? Where are you going to get the liquid Nitrogen? What country / state are you in? What are you going to use the liquid Nitrogen for?

I would ask whoever is supplying the liquid nitrogen. They may be reluctant to fill your dewar unless they are happy with it. Cheapest I could see on ebay is double your price target.

Likes berkeman
I wpuld like to cool down a super conducter

chasbissell said:
I wpuld like to cool down a super conducter
What is your level of experience working with cryogenics? What are you planning on doing with the superconductor?

I really have no experience, just want to play with it.

Thread locked for moderation.

Likes RonL
chasbissell said:
I really have no experience, just want to play with it.
Then we cannot help you. An anonymous internet forum is no substitute for supervision by someone who knows what they're doing, so we can't help you with this potentially dangerous project. Please find someone near you who can help you with this. Perhaps check out the local community colleges, for example, to see if they have any cryogenic setups in their labs that you could learn from.

Thread will remain closed.

1. Where can I find a cheap liquid nitrogen dewar?

There are several places where you may be able to find a cheap liquid nitrogen dewar. Some options include online retailers, scientific supply stores, and industrial supply stores. You may also want to check with local universities or research institutions to see if they have any used dewars for sale.

2. How much does a liquid nitrogen dewar typically cost?

The cost of a liquid nitrogen dewar can vary depending on the size and brand. On average, a small dewar can cost anywhere from $200 to $500, while larger dewars can range from $500 to $2000. Used dewars may be available at a lower cost, but always make sure to check for any damage or wear before purchasing.

3. What is the difference between a cheap dewar and an expensive one?

The main difference between a cheap dewar and an expensive one is the quality and durability. Cheaper dewars may not be as well insulated, which can result in a shorter hold time for liquid nitrogen. They may also be made with lower quality materials, making them more prone to damage. Expensive dewars are typically made with better insulation and materials, resulting in a longer hold time and better overall performance.

4. Are there any safety concerns when purchasing a cheap liquid nitrogen dewar?

It is important to always use caution when handling liquid nitrogen, regardless of the dewar's cost. Cheaper dewars may not have the same safety features as more expensive ones, such as pressure relief valves or safety caps. It is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines when handling and storing liquid nitrogen, regardless of the dewar's cost.

5. Can I refill a cheap liquid nitrogen dewar?

Most liquid nitrogen dewars can be refilled, regardless of their cost. However, it is important to check with the manufacturer or seller to ensure that the dewar is designed for refilling. It is also important to follow proper procedures when refilling a dewar to ensure safety and prevent damage to the dewar.