Where do I start in my career for physics?

In summary, Good Morning everyone and thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. I am a US Marine and my only choices of colleges are currently online. I have almost 4 years left on my contract (out of 6) so I defintely want to get a head start in my dream of being a quantum physicst. I've searched google for hours but I rather ask real people with real experience. My questions are these; Is there anyway to receive a bachelor's degree in physics online? IF NOT What degrees should I start going into to jump start me acquiring a physics degree? ie; mathmetics, energy, etc. Sources and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
JakubZera
Good Morning everyone and thanks for taking the time to look at (and hopefully) reply to my thread!

I am a US marine and my only choices of colleges are currently online. I have almost 4 years left on my contract (out of 6) so I defintely want to get a head start in my dream of being a quantum physicst.

I've searched google for hours but I rather ask real people with real experience

My questions are these;
Is there anyway to receive a bachelor's degree in physics online?
IF NOT
What degrees should I start going into to jump start me acquiring a physics degree?
ie; mathmetics, energy, etc

Sources and suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any physics bachelor's online, but the lower division math classes you can do online. How much math have you taken? You'll need a solid understanding of algebra and trig before you start calculus.

Do yourself a favor, and something I wished I would have done while I was enlisted and knock out as many GE requirements as possible with TA. Do not under any circumstance use your GI bill while in the service, you're going to want that when you go to university after your tour. English, social sciences, remedial math, humanities and arts are all classes you can do online, hopefully with TA.

Are you at Camp Pendleton? If so you can also talk to your chain of command about enrolling in Palomar Community College, they have some kind of deal worked out with them to make using TA and attending in person classes easier. That’s if your command is kosher with it of course. If you can do that, then you will also know that the classes you’ve completed are articulated with the California UC system.

Save the physics for after you’re done, so you can really focus on it and just knock out all those GE requirements so you can smoothly get out and get into university without too much of a headache.

Student100 said:
Do yourself a favor, and something I wished I would have done while I was enlisted and knock out as many GE requirements as possible with TA. Do not under any circumstance use your GI bill while in the service, you're going to want that when you go to university after your tour. English, social sciences, remedial math, humanities and arts are all classes you can do online, hopefully with TA.

Are you at Camp Pendleton? If so you can also talk to your chain of command about enrolling in Palomar Community College, they have some kind of deal worked out with them to make using TA and attending in person classes easier. That’s if your command is kosher with it of course. If you can do that, then you will also know that the classes you’ve completed are articulated with the California UC system.

Save the physics for after you’re done, so you can really focus on it and just knock out all those GE requirements so you can smoothly get out and get into university without too much of a headache.

No I am overseas at the moment in the Americas
I'll defintely take General Studies adhering to physics! Thanks a lot! it feels good to start it

Hello and thank you for your question! Starting a career in physics can be an exciting and challenging journey. I can offer you some advice on where to begin.

Firstly, it is important to note that while there are online programs available for physics degrees, they may not offer the same hands-on laboratory experience as traditional in-person programs. As a physicist, hands-on experience in a laboratory setting is crucial in developing critical thinking skills and understanding complex concepts. Therefore, if possible, I would highly recommend looking into in-person programs, even if it means delaying your studies until after your military contract is completed.

If an online program is your only option, then I would suggest starting with a degree in mathematics. Mathematics is the language of physics and having a strong foundation in math will be beneficial in your future studies. Other degrees to consider could be engineering or computer science, as these fields also require a strong understanding of math and problem-solving skills.

In addition to your academic studies, I would also suggest looking for opportunities to gain research experience. This could include internships, volunteer work, or joining a research group at your college. This will allow you to gain hands-on experience and make connections in the field.

Lastly, keep in mind that a career in physics requires dedication, hard work, and a passion for learning. Don't be discouraged by the challenges ahead, as they will only make you a stronger and more knowledgeable physicist. I wish you all the best in your studies and future career!

1. How do I know if a career in physics is right for me?

A career in physics requires a strong interest and aptitude in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. If you enjoy these subjects and have a curiosity about the natural world, then a career in physics may be a good fit for you.

2. What education and training do I need to start a career in physics?

Most careers in physics require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some positions, such as research or teaching roles, may require a graduate degree. It is important to also gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities to enhance your skills and knowledge.

3. What type of job opportunities are available for physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including research and development, engineering, data science, finance, and education. Some common job titles for physics graduates include physicist, engineer, data analyst, and science teacher.

4. How do I gain experience in the field of physics?

There are several ways to gain experience in the field of physics. You can participate in internships or co-op programs, conduct research with a professor, or join a professional organization to connect with other physicists and attend conferences and workshops. Additionally, you can work on personal projects or participate in online courses to develop your skills and knowledge.

5. How can I stand out in my physics career?

To stand out in your physics career, it is important to continuously develop your skills and knowledge through further education and training. Networking with other professionals in the field and staying up-to-date with current research and technologies can also help you stand out. Additionally, showcasing your problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and passion for the subject can make you a valuable asset to any organization.