Where Do Sections 3.45 and 3.46 in Goldstein's 3rd Edition Originate?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ASmc2
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
ASmc2
Messages
28
Reaction score
3
This is a question to those who have the 3rd edition at their disposal. Where do 3.45 and 3.46 come from? I understood everything he said before that...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with equ. 3.34, an linearize it about ##u = u_0##. You will get an equation for simple harmonic motion, from which those two equations will follow.
 
I get an equation of the form x''+kx=c. where c is some constant, '' gives the second derivative with respect to theta, and x is u-u0.
 
You are on the right track, but you should have obtained ##x'' + kx = 0##. You made a mistake somewhere. Without seeing your work, I can't say what it was.
 
My work is attached.
 
Attachments
  • goldstein chapter 3.jpg
    goldstein chapter 3.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 630
The very first equation you have is incorrect. $$ {d \over du} V \left( \frac 1 u \right) \ne f(u) $$ Which is actually strange, because the third equation could only have been obtained if you had differentiated that correctly.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
OK, I get that now, thanks. I got the correct equation now. Now to get (3.46).
 
3.46 should follow from what you got immediately: ##\ddot x + \beta^2 x = 0 ##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person