1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does Laplace's equation in spherical polars come from

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    Where does Laplace's equation in spherical polars come from

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} + \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \theta^2}=0[/itex]

???

i can derive from scratch the expression for the laplacian in spherical polars but this bears no resemblance to the above, even if i decide to ignore the [itex]\phi[/itex] dependence?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Laplacian

Those are in 2D-polar coordinates.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3

hmm, im guessing that's meant to be easier but we haven't covered that in class (despite doing the 3D case) - could you possibly run over the derivation or post a link to a website (whenever i google it i only get the 3d case) please?

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Apr 9, 2009 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When deriving it from scratch, remember that in spherical coordinates, the unit vectors are not constants anymore!

The gradient operator is

[tex]\vec \nabla = \hat r \frac{\partial}{\partial r} + \hat \theta \frac1{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} + \hat \phi \frac1{r \sin \theta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

what you want to find is

[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec \nabla[/tex]

but you must take into account the fact that the differential operators also act on the unit vectors.

7. May 10, 2009 #6

From my weblog
    http://buyanik.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/laplacian-in-spherical-coordinates/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook