Where n is an odd positive integer

In summary, the conversation is about studying for a test and a question that cannot be solved regarding an operator on Rn. The speaker mentions the need for the operator to be linear in order to define eigenvectors and also brings up the concept of the characteristic equation and complex roots in the underlying field of real numbers.
squenshl
I'm studying for a test.
In doing one of the old tests and it had a question that I couldn't do.
Let T: Rn [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Rn be an operator on Rn,
where n is an odd positive integer. How do I prove T has at least one eigenvector in Rn

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, you can't unless it is specified that T is a linear operator- otherwise "eigenvectors" cannot be defined.

I presume that you know that the "characteristic equation" for an operator on an n dimensional space is an nth order polynomial equation. Since the underlying field is the real numbers, all coefficients of that characteristic equation are real numbers. Now, you know, do you not, that, in that situation, complex roots come in complex conjugate pairs?

1. What does "n is an odd positive integer" mean?

"n is an odd positive integer" simply means that the value for n must be a whole number that is greater than 0 (positive) and is not divisible by 2 (odd). In other words, n must be an integer that is not evenly divisible by 2.

2. Can n be a decimal or fraction if it is an odd positive integer?

No, n must be a whole number in order to be considered an integer. This means that n cannot be a decimal or fraction, it must be a whole number. Additionally, since n is an odd integer, it cannot be divided by 2 to get a whole number result.

3. How many possible values can n take on if it is an odd positive integer?

The number of possible values for n is infinite, as there are an infinite number of odd positive integers. Some examples of odd positive integers are 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.

4. Is 0 considered an odd positive integer?

No, 0 is not considered an odd positive integer because it is not a positive number. In order to be an odd positive integer, n must be a positive whole number, and 0 does not fit this criteria.

5. Can n be a negative number if it is an odd positive integer?

No, n cannot be a negative number if it is an odd positive integer. As stated before, n must be a positive number in order to be considered an odd positive integer.