Where the energy goes in half wave rectifier?

In summary: Half wave rectifier based on the principle of PN junction diode convert either possitive or negative portion of AC current But i am confused here that when the portion of current on which the diode is reverse biased current is almost zero then where the energy of that portion goes?The energy is only transferred when the diode is forward biased.
waqarrashid33
Half wave rectifier based on the principle of PN junction diode convert either possitive or negative portion of AC current But i am confused here that when the portion of current on which the diode is reverse biased current is almost zero then where the energy of that portion goes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you reffering to the reverse leakage current?

I would assume that any small amount of power is dissipated across the diode and the output resistor, but I'm fairly certainly for all purposes it is negligible.

Last edited:
waqarrashid33 said:
Half wave rectifier based on the principle of PN junction diode convert either possitive or negative portion of AC current But i am confused here that when the portion of current on which the diode is reverse biased current is almost zero then where the energy of that portion goes?

The energy is only transferred when the diode is forward biased. That is why a full-wave rectifier is more efficient in energy transfer.

you mean the energy of current which i blocked by diode is transfred when the diode is farward biase?

No, the transformer supplies voltage to the diode and then a current will only flow if there is a path for it to flow in.

A diode simply stops the current from flowing in one direction and it doesn't have to go anywhere else. It just stops.

When the voltage reverses, and it is possible for the current to flow again, then it does flow.

It isn't like trying to stop a locomotive. The voltage can be stopped by a small diode if it has enough voltage rating to do it.

In fact, because it doesn't conduct any current (other than microscopic currents) in reverse , the diode does not even dissipate any power, so it doesn't get warm while it is stopping a high voltage.
A diode costing just a few cents can stop a voltage of up to 1000 volts.

1. Where does the energy go in a half wave rectifier?

In a half wave rectifier, the energy is converted from alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). This means that the energy flows in one direction, instead of alternating back and forth.

2. How is the energy converted in a half wave rectifier?

The energy is converted in a half wave rectifier through the use of a diode. The diode allows current to flow in one direction, effectively blocking the reverse flow of energy.

3. Does energy get lost in a half wave rectifier?

Yes, there is some energy loss in a half wave rectifier due to the voltage drop across the diode. This loss is typically small, but can add up over time.

4. Can the energy be stored in a half wave rectifier?

No, the energy cannot be stored in a half wave rectifier. It is immediately converted and used in the circuit, so there is no storage of energy.

5. What is the efficiency of a half wave rectifier?

The efficiency of a half wave rectifier is typically around 40-50%, meaning that about half of the energy is lost. This is why full wave rectifiers are often used, as they have a higher efficiency and can convert more of the energy to usable DC power.