Where to apply for PhD physics in Europe

I am planning to do a PhD degree in physics since I have recently completed my masters degree, my research field was mainly on cosmology but I am getting interested in some fundamental aspects of physics, like GR and QG. I have tried to apply to some universities in Germany and failed to be accepted, also there are very few open positions available so competition is also extremely high. I have still to wait for the results of my application in Sweden. I have recently also taken an IELTS exam and awaiting for the result, after I receive the result I will also apply to UK universities and hope that I might get a position regardless of prestige.

Due to limited positions available in Europe, I think I have to adjust my research interest a bit so that it will open more opportunities for my application. Can anyone guide or give me suggestions on where else in Europe I can apply for a position with my said interest.

Answers and Replies

Did you get feedback why you didn't get accepted? You can also ask. Sometimes it is something you can easily change, or it might tell you where you have better chances.

How did you decide where you applied? Many PhD positions are never publicly announced - you only get them by asking the professors/groups.

Did you get feedback why you didn't get accepted? You can also ask. Sometimes it is something you can easily change, or it might tell you where you have better chances.

How did you decide where you applied? Many PhD positions are never publicly announced - you only get them by asking the professors/groups.
The feedback of the professors are almost always because there are very limited positions like only 2-3 available so the slot is very competitive and there are a lot more qualified applicants. I decided to search for positions in Germany and Sweden since they posted their job offering explicitly, I applied and awaited for the results, which was sad.

Maybe I can ask for suggestions and guide on where and how to apply for PhD positions in Europe, I cannot be very picky now since positions are really few.

and there are a lot more qualified applicants
Maybe your CV could be improved. Or the interviews don't go well.

Where: Well, see what is advertised, and search for possible positions that are not advertised. If you like a group, just send a mail and ask if they have a PhD position. Ask your previous supervisor, colleagues and similar if they know open PhD positions (which typically also means they know someone in this group - that can help a lot).
Apart from that: Germany and Sweden are not the only countries doing research in the fields you are interested in.