1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to go next? did the intro to analysis

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    Ok I've done an introductary course in analysis using the first 2/3 of Parzynski and Zipse - Introduction to Mathematical Analysis. This (I think) is about equivalent to Rudin up and including chap 7 (series of functions).

I probably won't have time to take any more classes in mathematics as I'm more of a theoretical physicist, but I'd still try to advance my knowledge in analysis a bit on my own. The problem is I don't know in which direction I should continue.

So far I'm considering one of the following options:

1) Fleming - Functions of Several Variables

2) Kreyzig - Introductory Functional analysis

3) Spivak - Calculus on Manifolds

The criteria is that it can't be too big a step up as I'm not a mathematician and I'll be studying on my own. Kreyzig looks very nice from that aspect, while Spivak seems scary.

Anybody has any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have all of the books that you listed as options, but I have none of them with me right now.

It might be useful to study, in some book, the material in chapter 9 of Blue Rudin. This stuff is probably covered in both Fleming and Spivak. Even though Spivak is a wonderful book, Fleming's treatment is probably more accessible.

Kreyzig was the text for a course that I took, and I think it would make a great self-study text. Studying Kreyzig would give you a good grounding (Better than many physcists receive!) in the mathematics that underlies quantum theory.
  4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the help. So I will probably start by reading Kreyszig, it doesn't seem as scary as the others. At least one day I hope I'll be able to master the book by Spivak, but that day seems far away...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?