Where to Purchase Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds" (Hardcover

In summary: I don't really know what you're looking for. I would recommend Munkres or Fleming, but they're both pretty expensive.You know, you probably shouldn't bother with extra books. If you want a thorough treatment of vector calculus, you should get Munkres or Fleming.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum friends,

I am currently trying to purchase Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds to replace the vector-calculus chapters of Rudin-PMA, which is quite unreadable compared to his excellent chapters 1-8. I know that there is a paperback-edition for Munkres, but I heard that the quality (especially the printing and binding) is not great, and the hardcover-edition is much better for the reading and storage. Unfortunately, it seems that the Addison-Wesley stop published the hardcover-edition, and the book is sold in expensive price from other sellers. Is there a way to get a copy of it? If it is not possible, what are some alternatives to Munkres?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak's calculus on manifolds is better.

micromass said:
Spivak's calculus on manifolds is better.

Could you elaborate more about the reasons why Spivak is better than Munkres and Rudin? I was looking for a detailed treatment of the topics including both functions of several variables, vector functions, differentiation, integration, and differential forms.

Yep, Spivak covers all of those. Spivak is better than Rudin, because Rudin is pretty much the worst book out there covering this. It also is more theoretical and has better problems than Munkres.

micromass said:
Yep, Spivak covers all of those. Spivak is better than Rudin, because Rudin is pretty much the worst book out there covering this. It also is more theoretical and has better problems than Munkres.

I see. What is a prerequisite for the Spivak then? I am going to spend a week to review all materials from Chap. 1-8 of Rudin and the linrar algebra of Axler before diving to the calculus on manifolds. Unfortunately, I forgot most (if not all) of materials typical covered on Calculus III...Will that be a serious problem? Also is Spivak's contents basically same as Rudin's Chapters on the vector calculus?

You can probably handle it right now. Yes, Spivak covers the same as Rudin, only better.

micromass said:
You can probably handle it right now. Yes, Spivak covers the same as Rudin, only better.

Thanks! I will purchase the copy of Spivak then. Fortunately, I found an available copy of Munkres at my am library! I will borrow it for the supplement. As for the computational aspects, which book do you recommend for excellent computational problems (including applications to science like physics and biology)?

Can you give examples of problems you're looking for?

micromass said:
Can you give examples of problems you're looking for?

Applications of partial and directional derivatives to the physical problems, relationship between manifolds to electromagnetism, tricky computational problems (a lot challenging than routine problems of Thomas and Lang).

Sorry, I can't help you there, it seems like you want a physics book then.

micromass said:
Sorry, I can't help you there, it seems like you want a physics book then.

It is okay. Since I am going to take Analysis II on the next semester (Rudin), Spivak will fit me the best. Is this also a book which does not do much of a hand-holding? Also does it also explain the multivariable calculus at the Euclidean space too? Please correct me if I am mistaken, but my impression is that the Euclidean and manifolds are quite different from each other.

It explains both multivariable calculus on Euclidean space. Then it explains it on manifolds. A manifold is a generalization of the Euclidean space.
You will find no hand holding at all in this book, don't worry.

micromass said:
It explains both multivariable calculus on Euclidean space. Then it explains it on manifolds. A manifold is a generalization of the Euclidean space.
You will find no hand holding at all in this book, don't worry.

Dear Professor Micromass, have you read a book called "Functions of Several Variables" by W. Fleming? When I purchased Spivak, that book was recommended by people who used Spivak. Can't usually, I would read it from the library, but it is closed now...Is it at the level of Spivak or Munrkes?

fleming is much longer than spivak (3 times as many pages) and treats lebesgue integration, which spivak does not.

mathwonk said:
fleming is much longer than spivak (3 times as many pages) and treats lebesgue integration, which spivak does not.
I purchased Spivak, but I am still deciding whether I should get Munkres, Fleming, or Hubbard since I would like to have thorough treatment of the vector calculus. Plus, I recently got a gift card so I can purchase one of them.

bacte2013 said:
I purchased Spivak, but I am still deciding whether I should get Munkres, Fleming, or Hubbard since I would like to have thorough treatment of the vector calculus. Plus, I recently got a gift card so I can purchase one of them.

You know, you probably shouldn't bother with extra books. If you want a thorough treatment of vector calculus, then you should study differential geometry and manifolds.

1. Where can I buy Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds (Hardcover)?

There are several places where you can purchase Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds (Hardcover), including online retailers such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and AbeBooks. You can also check your local bookstore or university bookstore to see if they have it in stock.

2. Is the Hardcover version of Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds more expensive than the paperback version?

Yes, the Hardcover version of Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds is typically more expensive than the paperback version due to the higher production costs associated with hardcover books.

3. Can I purchase a digital version of Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds?

Yes, you can purchase a digital version of Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds through various online platforms such as Kindle, Google Play Books, and Apple Books. However, note that the digital version may not have all the same features as the physical book.

4. Is Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds available in international editions?

Yes, there are international editions of Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds available for purchase. These editions may have different covers and may be printed on different paper, but the content is generally the same as the original version.

5. Can I purchase Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds directly from the publisher?

Yes, the publisher of Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds, Addison-Wesley, has a website where you can purchase the book directly. However, note that the prices may vary from other retailers and there may be shipping costs involved.