1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Where to Purchase Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds" (Hardcover

1. Dec 11, 2015 #1
    Dear Physics Forum friends,

I am currently trying to purchase Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds to replace the vector-calculus chapters of Rudin-PMA, which is quite unreadable compared to his excellent chapters 1-8. I know that there is a paperback-edition for Munkres, but I heard that the quality (especially the printing and binding) is not great, and the hardcover-edition is much better for the reading and storage. Unfortunately, it seems that the Addison-Wesley stop published the hardcover-edition, and the book is sold in expensive price from other sellers. Is there a way to get a copy of it? If it is not possible, what are some alternatives to Munkres?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Spivak's calculus on manifolds is better.

4. Dec 11, 2015 #3
    Could you elaborate more about the reasons why Spivak is better than Munkres and Rudin? I was looking for a detailed treatment of the topics including both functions of several variables, vector functions, differentiation, integration, and differential forms.

5. Dec 11, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yep, Spivak covers all of those. Spivak is better than Rudin, because Rudin is pretty much the worst book out there covering this. It also is more theoretical and has better problems than Munkres.

6. Dec 11, 2015 #5
    I see. What is a prerequisite for the Spivak then? I am going to spend a week to review all materials from Chap. 1-8 of Rudin and the linrar algebra of Axler before diving to the calculus on manifolds. Unfortunately, I forgot most (if not all) of materials typical covered on Calculus III....Will that be a serious problem? Also is Spivak's contents basically same as Rudin's Chapters on the vector calculus?

7. Dec 11, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You can probably handle it right now. Yes, Spivak covers the same as Rudin, only better.

8. Dec 11, 2015 #7
    Thanks! I will purchase the copy of Spivak then. Fortunately, I found an available copy of Munkres at my am library! I will borrow it for the supplement. As for the computational aspects, which book do you recommend for excellent computational problems (including applications to science like physics and biology)?

9. Dec 11, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you give examples of problems you're looking for?

10. Dec 11, 2015 #9
    Applications of partial and directional derivatives to the physical problems, relationship between manifolds to electromagnetism, tricky computational problems (a lot challenging than routine problems of Thomas and Lang).

11. Dec 11, 2015 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry, I can't help you there, it seems like you want a physics book then.

12. Dec 11, 2015 #11
    It is okay. Since I am going to take Analysis II on the next semester (Rudin), Spivak will fit me the best. Is this also a book which does not do much of a hand-holding? Also does it also explain the multivariable calculus at the Euclidean space too? Please correct me if I am mistaken, but my impression is that the Euclidean and manifolds are quite different from each other.

13. Dec 11, 2015 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It explains both multivariable calculus on Euclidean space. Then it explains it on manifolds. A manifold is a generalization of the Euclidean space.
    You will find no hand holding at all in this book, don't worry.

14. Dec 11, 2015 #13
    Dear Professor Micromass, have you read a book called "Functions of Several Variables" by W. Fleming? When I purchased Spivak, that book was recommended by people who used Spivak. Can't usually, I would read it from the library, but it is closed now...Is it at the level of Spivak or Munrkes?

15. Dec 15, 2015 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

16. Dec 15, 2015 #15

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

fleming is much longer than spivak (3 times as many pages) and treats lebesgue integration, which spivak does not.

17. Dec 15, 2015 #16
    I purchased Spivak, but I am still deciding whether I should get Munkres, Fleming, or Hubbard since I would like to have thorough treatment of the vector calculus. Plus, I recently got a gift card so I can purchase one of them.

18. Dec 15, 2015 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You know, you probably shouldn't bother with extra books. If you want a thorough treatment of vector calculus, then you should study differential geometry and manifolds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted