Which Acid is Best for Cleaning Rusty Iron ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best acid for cleaning rusty iron. Suggestions include phosphoric or hydrochloric acid, which both create complexes with iron to facilitate rust dissolution. Other options mentioned are ready mixes on the market, such as Naval Jelly containing phosphoric acid. A fun experiment using cola fizzy drinks with phosphoric acid is also suggested.
Panthera Leo
Which Acid is Best for Cleaning Rusty Iron ?

Hi,

What is the best acid/solution which can clean the rusty surface of Iron metal...?

Is Nitric acid good enough? or hydrofluoric Acid?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

I would try either phosphoric or hydrochloric - they both create complexes with iron, which facilitates rust dissolution.

But there are some ready mixes on the market, I would start looking for them. Perhaps our engineers will know something - I can move the thread to general engineering later.

Thanks borek... I will try hydrochloric today :)

Naval Jelly rust remover is thickened phosphoric acid. HCl will promote rust while the phosphoric acid will help prevent it.

As Borek points out, there are some ready mixes that promote rust dissolution on the market. I have also used the product Naval Jelly (containing phosphoric acid, available in the US) with success. As I understand this product is more difficult to find outside the US. There may be similar mixes on the market in your location. Something you could try for fun. Cola fizzy drinks contain phosphoric acid. You may want to try an experiment.

1. How does acid remove rust from iron?

Acids are corrosive substances that react with the iron oxide (rust) on the surface of the iron. This reaction breaks down the rust, making it easier to remove from the iron.

2. What are the most commonly used acids for cleaning rusty iron?

The most commonly used acids for cleaning rusty iron are vinegar, lemon juice, citric acid, hydrochloric acid, and phosphoric acid. Each acid has its own strengths and weaknesses in terms of effectiveness and safety.

3. Which acid is the most effective for removing rust from iron?

Hydrochloric acid is considered the most effective for removing rust from iron. It is a strong acid that quickly breaks down rust, but it can also be dangerous to handle and requires proper safety precautions.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using acids to clean rust from iron?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using acids to clean rust from iron. Some acids can be corrosive and cause burns if they come into contact with the skin. It is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles when handling acids.

5. Can I use household items like vinegar or lemon juice to clean rust from iron?

Yes, household items like vinegar and lemon juice can be used to clean rust from iron. However, they may not be as effective as stronger acids and may require more time and effort to remove the rust completely.