Which Acid Is Stronger, HA or HB?

• Thread starter phys1618
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids
In summary, acid HA with a pKa=20 is the stronger acid compared to acid HB with a pKa=10. In an acid-base reaction, if Na+ A- is added to HB, the reaction will take place because HB is a strong acid and A- is a stronger base, causing a shift towards the products. This is determined by the pKa values, where the higher pKa indicates a weaker acid.
phys1618

Homework Statement

Acid HA has a pKa=20; acid HB has a pKa=10
a. which is the stronger acid?
b. will an acid-base reaction with an equilibrium lying to the right take place if Na+ A- is added to HB? Explain your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the lower pKa is a stronger acid, which makes answer a is HB
I'm not really sure what b is asking. I want to say yes because HB is a strong acid, so adding Na+ A- (weak base) will cause an acid base reaction. I'm like clueless with b. Can someone help and tell me where to start ffor b? thank you in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
What it really asks if it this reaction will happen:

HB + A- = B- + HA

and to find the answer you have to know which conjugate base - A- or B- is stronger.

--
methods

HB + A- = B- + HA

strong acid + A- = B- + weak acid

Since HB is a stronger acid, isn't A- a stronger base? stronger acid=weaker conj. base?

so answer is yes

Yes it is yes :wink:

--
methods

thank you so to explain my answer :
HB + Na+ A- = B- + HA

Since HB is a stronger acid, A- is a stronger base, stronger acid=weaker conj. base

I'm not sure how knowing how strong a conjugate base will be can help you here if you don't already know which is the stronger acid beforehand. That is circular reasoning IMO.

You should remember that the pKa is the pH at which half of the acid is deprotonated. The higher the pKa, the higher the pH must be to deprotonate it. Thus, the compound with the higher pKa must be the weaker acid since it requires a stronger base to deprotonate it.

Related to Which Acid Is Stronger, HA or HB?

1. What is the difference between HA and HB?

HA and HB are both acids, but they differ in their chemical composition. HA stands for a generic acid, while HB represents a specific acid. The identity of HB can vary, while HA is a more general term.

2. Which acid is stronger, HA or HB?

The strength of an acid is determined by its dissociation constant, also known as Ka. The lower the Ka value, the weaker the acid. Therefore, the acid with a lower Ka value is considered stronger. However, the strength of HA and HB can vary depending on their specific identities.

3. How do HA and HB react differently with other substances?

HA and HB will react differently with other substances due to their different chemical compositions. HA may be more reactive with certain substances, while HB may be more reactive with others. It is important to consider the specific identity of the acid when predicting its reactions.

4. Can HA and HB be used interchangeably in experiments?

No, HA and HB should not be used interchangeably in experiments. Even though they are both acids, their different chemical compositions can result in different reactions and outcomes. It is important to use the specified acid in an experiment to ensure accurate results.

5. How do the properties of HA and HB affect their uses?

The properties of HA and HB, such as strength and reactivity, can greatly affect their uses in various applications. For example, a stronger acid may be used for more corrosive or acidic environments, while a weaker acid may be used for more mild applications. The specific identity of the acid should be considered when determining its appropriate use.