What material is best for cleaning an oil spill

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 9K views
mattgator
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am doing a science project to determine what material is best at cleaning up an oil spill in the ocean. I plan to simulate the ocean and use motor oil. I am trying to do something similar to Exxon Valdes
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mattgator.
My initial response to you question as posted in your thread title was 'Kitty Litter'. That's about the best thing for garage floors. :rolleyes:
I would expect that something like an aerogel might be best for your oceanic endeavours, but I'm not sure. Whatever you choose, it should have a high affinity for carbon, and a low one for water.
 
mattgator said:
I am trying to do something similar to Exxon Valdes
Sea-birds and seals were good - they are very absorbant and biodegradable.
Kittens would probably be good too but you have to teach them to swim first.
 
OIL BOOMS work good and can be simulated in a small experiment also there is a fabric material similar to an oil boom that is shredded that floats on water and absorbs oil. you can find this stuff at a local Napa. It is mainly used to remove oil from antifreeze to allow it to be reused. Kitty litter does not float and Kitties won't stay in long enought to absorb any material, both of these issues will recovery of the wasted oil rather difficult!
 
mgb_phys said:
Sea-birds and seals were good - they are very absorbant and biodegradable.
Kittens would probably be good too but you have to teach them to swim first.

But the oil would stick on them and everything. they may not make it back alive. Furthermore. i guess that what mattgator is asking should be on things to help clear oil spills and not the sacrifise of animals!:rolleyes:
 
kaisxuans said:
But the oil would stick on them and everything. they may not make it back alive. Furthermore. i guess that what mattgator is asking should be on things to help clear oil spills and not the sacrifise of animals!:rolleyes:
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=humor
 
thanks, I can't use anything live in my HS project. Since I do not ant to remove excess water, I am focusing on things that separate the oil from the water
 
Since I do not want to remove excess water, I am focusing on things that separate the oil from the water, so I measure the effiency of the material
 
brewnog said:
Oil and water separate pretty well by themselves...

Yeah, so you woould just need to scoop up the oil yourself. but if you ask me about materials..then I'm not that sure.:zzz:
 
Speaking of animals, how about something like a PigMat?
 
Gokul43201 said:
Speaking of animals, how about something like a PigMat?
That is exactly what I was getting at with my question. Pig rules.
 
Human hair and steamed chicken feathers (you have to steam them to get the blood out) have been used to clean oil spills. What comes off the barbershop floor won't cost you much either. Its amazing what can be done with that waste human hair...

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...Timmons+AND+keratin&RS=IN/Timmons+AND+keratin

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...Timmons+AND+keratin&RS=IN/Timmons+AND+keratin

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...Timmons+AND+keratin&RS=IN/Timmons+AND+keratin