Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What material is best for cleaning an oil spill

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    I am doing a science project to determine what material is best at cleaning up an oil spill in the ocean. I plan to simulate the ocean and use motor oil. I am trying to do something similar to Exxon Valdes

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Mattgator.
    My initial response to you question as posted in your thread title was 'Kitty Litter'. That's about the best thing for garage floors. :rolleyes:
    I would expect that something like an aerogel might be best for your oceanic endeavours, but I'm not sure. Whatever you choose, it should have a high affinity for carbon, and a low one for water.

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Are you looking for something generic or something that can be purchased?

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sea-birds and seals were good - they are very absorbant and biodegradable.
    Kittens would probably be good too but you have to teach them to swim first.

6. Oct 5, 2007 #5
    OIL BOOMS work good and can be simulated in a small experiment also there is a fabric material similar to an oil boom that is shredded that floats on water and absorbs oil. you can find this stuff at a local Napa. It is mainly used to remove oil from antifreeze to allow it to be reused. Kitty litter does not float and Kitties wont stay in long enought to absorb any material, both of these issues will recovery of the wasted oil rather difficult!

7. Oct 6, 2007 #6
    But the oil would stick on them and everything. they may not make it back alive. Furthermore. i guess that what mattgator is asking should be on things to help clear oil spills and not the sacrifise of animals!:rolleyes:

8. Oct 6, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

9. Oct 6, 2007 #8
    thanks, I can't use anything live in my HS project. Since I do not ant to remove excess water, I am focusing on things that seperate the oil from the water

10. Oct 6, 2007 #9
    Since I do not want to remove excess water, I am focusing on things that seperate the oil from the water, so I measure the effiency of the material

11. Oct 6, 2007 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oil and water separate pretty well by themselves...

12. Oct 6, 2007 #11
    Yeah, so you woould just need to scoop up the oil yourself. but if you ask me about materials..then i'm not that sure.:zzz:

13. Oct 8, 2007 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of animals, how about something like a PigMat?

14. Oct 8, 2007 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That is exactly what I was getting at with my question. Pig rules.

15. Oct 8, 2007 #14

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Human hair and steamed chicken feathers (you have to steam them to get the blood out) have been used to clean oil spills. What comes off the barbershop floor won't cost you much either. Its amazing what can be done with that waste human hair...

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...Timmons+AND+keratin&RS=IN/Timmons+AND+keratin

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...Timmons+AND+keratin&RS=IN/Timmons+AND+keratin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?