Which ball travels further, up a ramp or thrown in the air

In summary: In this case, the normal force transfers energy from kinetic to potential. So why do you think that the ball in the air would travel the shorter distance?As I said before, there is another effect that you haven't considered yet.In summary, the question asks which ball will reach the maximum height. To solve this, energy conservation must be used, taking into account the initial velocity, mass, and acceleration. This results in the same solution for both balls. However, the normal force, which does not do work, transfers energy from kinetic to potential, helping the ball thrown up the incline reach a greater height compared to the ball thrown up in the air. Therefore, the ball thrown up the incline will travel further in terms of
Alexstrasza

Homework Statement

Two identical balls, one is thrown at angle α up a frictionless surface, the other one is thrown at the same angle up in the air.

Both have the same initial velocity.

A. Which one travels further? Explain.
B. Is the mechanical energy of the first ball conserved? Explain.

Homework Equations

F=ma
K(e)=mv^2/2, P(e)=m*g*h
Momentum... p=m*v
W=Fa

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
A. I am having trouble with this one.

I tried to use v(f)=v(i)+2ax but then it is the same equation for both the balls. That can't be right?

I think that the ball in the air would travel the shorter distance, because it doesn't have the support of the ramp.

B. The energy of the first ball is conserved, because there is no friction and the only force except gravity working on that ball is N, which doesn't do work because it's perpendicular.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexstrasza said:
I tried to use v(f)=v(i)+2ax but then it is the same equation for both the balls. That can't be right?
What are the accelerations for the two balls? Are they the same?
What is x, and how does that equation work if you have to consider two dimensions?
Alexstrasza said:
I think that the ball in the air would travel the shorter distance, because it doesn't have the support of the ramp.
There is also a different effect in the opposite direction.
Alexstrasza said:
B. The energy of the first ball is conserved, because there is no friction and the only force except gravity working on that ball is N, which doesn't do work because it's perpendicular.
Is it really perpendicular?
What exactly counts as mechanical energy?

Likes Alexstrasza
I'm not sure what is meant by "travel further". Horizontal distance? Height?

Likes Alexstrasza
The "Range" equation will quickly give you the distance the ball in air will travel.
Now if the initial kinetic energy is converted to potential energy,
how far can the ball travel on the incline?

Likes Alexstrasza
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for late update.

The question was asking to find which ball will reach the maximum height. I tried to solve using energy conservation but then it gives me the same solution for both.

mfb said:
Is it really perpendicular?
What exactly counts as mechanical energy?

Isn't N always perpendicular to the surface? Energy = initial velocity squared x mass / 2 and energy is conserved.

J Hann said:
The "Range" equation will quickly give you the distance the ball in air will travel.

That is what I am confused about, what is the difference between how far the ball travels up an incline vs. at an angle in the air. I am pretty sure that the incline "helps" the ball but not sure how to express it.

Alexstrasza said:
The question was asking to find which ball will reach the maximum height.
Ah, now the question makes sense.

Alexstrasza said:
I tried to solve using energy conservation but then it gives me the same solution for both.
Describe what you did for each. They are not quite the same.

Hint: What's the speed of each ball when it reaches maximum height?

As Doc Al implied, consider the "total" energy at the top of the trajectory for each case.

Alexstrasza said:
I tried to solve using energy conservation but then it gives me the same solution for both.
Energy is not the only conserved quantity that is relevant for the freely falling ball.
Alexstrasza said:
Isn't N always perpendicular to the surface?
The force from the surface is, the force from gravity is not.

J Hann said:
No. It will not give distance traveled.

It will only give the displacement.

Alexstrasza said:
Quite so, the normal force does no work. But forces acting on an object can transfer the energy of an object from one form to another without doing any net work. E.g. when a ball rolls down a slope, the friction transfers energy into rotational KE.
This is the way that the ramp 'helps' the ball go higher.

Frictionless surface.

SammyS said:
Frictionless surface.
Yes, I understand that. I was just using rolling down a frictional slope as an example of how a force that does no work can transfer energy from one mode to another. The same happens here, but not in respect of rotation.

1. What is the definition of "traveling further" in this context?

In this context, "traveling further" refers to the distance that the ball travels along the ramp or in the air before coming to a stop.

2. Does the angle of the ramp or the force of the throw affect the distance traveled?

Yes, both the angle of the ramp and the force of the throw can affect the distance traveled by the ball. A steeper ramp or a stronger throw will result in the ball traveling further.

3. How does friction play a role in the distance traveled by the ball?

Friction between the ball and the surface of the ramp will slow down the ball's movement and decrease the distance traveled. In the air, friction from air resistance will also slow down the ball and affect its distance traveled.

4. Is there a difference in the distance traveled between a ball rolling down a ramp and a ball thrown in the air?

In general, a ball thrown in the air will travel a greater distance than a ball rolling down a ramp. This is because the ball thrown in the air is not subject to the same friction as a ball rolling down a ramp, allowing it to travel further.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the distance traveled by the ball?

Yes, there are other factors that could affect the distance traveled by the ball, such as the weight and size of the ball, the surface of the ramp or the air, and the presence of any obstacles in the path of the ball. These factors can all impact the amount of force and friction acting on the ball and therefore affect its overall distance traveled.