1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Which book should be studied in my case?

1. May 30, 2015 #1
    Hello, I am going to be first year ungrad in physics next year. Because my native language is Turkish, I've attended PREP lectures this year to be able to write, read, listen in English. I also studied calculus from stewart, I proceeded until the integral part and decided to study from apostol. However, sometimes I am getting stucked and thinking whether I should continue with books like stewart, adam's etc.. What would you do in this case?

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got to learn how to walk before you can run.

IMO, stick with the Stewart text and other introductory calculus books before attempting a text like Apostol, which is for the more advanced student.

4. May 30, 2015 #3
    Hmm. If you find stewart hard to understand, then I would suggest simmoms. It cost 5 dollars shipped. Thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed is also good. I prefer thomas, but simmons is easier to read.

5. May 30, 2015 #4
    I found stewart and adam's easy to understand and also stewart includes some challenging problems at the end of the sections and I can do them when I attempt. My problem is that apostol requires endurance to study every page of it and I wonder that whether someone who is studying physics should study from apostol or books like stewart, adam's, etc..

6. May 30, 2015 #5
    Apostol is an introduction to analysis. It is quite terse. Proof experience is a requirement to fully understand the book. Not sure about physics.

7. May 30, 2015 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

Apostol is a terrific book if one is interested in physics. There is no need to study all from one book. You can use several books. If you get stuck at some place in one book, see if another book's explanation helps you understand it. For example, one could try (in addition to Stewart, Simmons etc) Schaum's Outline of Calculus https://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Calculus-6th-Edition/dp/0071795537 (earlier versions are just as good) or Calculus Made Easy https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted