Which branch of Engineering Technology?

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, this person is considering doing an Engineering Technology Diploma and is considering which branch to choose based on their interests and experiences. They enjoyed their courses in high school and enjoyed first year chemistry in university. They are currently a first year electricians apprentice but have been laid off recently. They are leaning towards chemical engineering technology because of the possibility of working in the pharmaceutical industry or in a branch of environmental engineering.
punter
Hey, I thought I'd just throw this out to the forum to hear some opinions.

I'm considering doing an Engineering Technology Diploma here in Canada and I'm just debating which branch to choose based on my interests and experiences. The branches I'm looking at are

Electrical Engineering Technology
Mechanical Engineering Technology
Chemical Engineering Technology

I enjoyed physics in high school, and enjoyed first year chemistry in university (thought making aspirin out of other compounds was one of the coolest things ever). I actually considered pursuing pharmacy after that. I also enjoyed my 2nd year intro to toxicology course and 2nd year intro to ecology course. I only took the first year general physics at university (algebra and trig based) but I also enjoyed that as well.

Recently I've been working as a first year electricians apprentice, but got laid off recently. The work is alright, but I find I'm not using my head enough. So I threw electrical eng tech down as well because I guess it would be the next educational level above an electrician. I threw mechanical eng tech down because, from the little I've read, it tends to be the broadest of the engineering disciplines, so I assume it would be the same for engineering technology, and I'm something of a generalist.

I think I'm leaning towards chemical engineering tech because of the possibility of working in the pharmaceutical industry or in a branch of environmental engineering but I'd like to hear what people think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you made up your mind buddy!

You love ingredients/compounds/medicines.

If you were to play a game such a Skyrim you would probably specialize in potion making :)

Pick Chemical Engineering Tech!

See how deep down you want to go!

Even if you switch majors later down the road; you arn't out of luck. There is many classes that most degree programs share in similar fields.

Goodluck!

smashbrohamme said:
Sounds like you made up your mind buddy!

You love ingredients/compounds/medicines.

If you were to play a game such a Skyrim you would probably specialize in potion making :)

Pick Chemical Engineering Tech!

See how deep down you want to go!

Even if you switch majors later down the road; you arn't out of luck. There is many classes that most degree programs share in similar fields.

Goodluck!

That's what I was thinking too. It seems that there are a few transfer options if I were to go to university afterwards as well.

1. What is the difference between engineering and engineering technology?

Engineering involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create solutions to complex problems. Engineering technology, on the other hand, focuses on the implementation and use of these solutions in real-world applications.

2. What are the main branches of engineering technology?

The main branches of engineering technology include mechanical, electrical, civil, industrial, and computer engineering technology. These branches focus on specific areas of technology and have their own unique applications and techniques.

3. What is the job outlook for graduates in engineering technology?

The job outlook for graduates in engineering technology is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Graduates can find employment in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, and telecommunications.

4. Is a degree in engineering technology as valuable as a degree in engineering?

While both degrees have their own value, a degree in engineering technology may be more practical and hands-on, with a focus on applied skills and techniques. It may also lead to different job opportunities compared to a degree in engineering, which tends to focus more on theoretical principles and research.

5. Can I switch from one branch of engineering technology to another?

Yes, it is possible to switch from one branch of engineering technology to another, but it may require additional coursework or training. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best path for your specific goals and interests.