Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which branch of topology to study

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I learned that there are 4 types of approach to topology:

(1) General
    (2) Algebraic
    (3) Differential
    (4) Geometrical

To have a rough understanding of General relativity, which branch of topology should I study?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2

martinbn

Science Advisor

To have a rough understanding you need very little topology. What you need to study is differential geometry.

4. Sep 2, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, dear. You're thinking way too far. General Relativity is mathematically founded on differential geometry and advanced calculus. To study differential geometry at a decent level, you don't need too much topology (certainly not spitted per branches).

5. Sep 2, 2014 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The foundational elements of topology are of some interest, Wolfram mathematics calls this "point set topology". This is the part of topology before you split off into branches.

Wolfram doesn't mention the definition of a manifold as part of point-set topology though that's something you might want to know :-). (I'm think it would be classified as part of point-set topology, but I could be mistaken as my focus is on the physics. Wolfram doesn't mention it.)

Wald, "General Relativity", for instance, has enough point set topology to give you a definition of a manifold in one of his appendices. A full study of it would probably be overkill if you are into the physics rather than the math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook