Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which came first, the ##\exists## or the ##\forall##?

1. Jul 27, 2013 #1
    I've always imagined that some mathematician or logician was looking for a cool way to write these quantifiers, and one of the following scenarios happened:

1.)

"Hey, I know, for "For All," I'll just take the letter "A" and flip it vertically, giving me this lovely ##\forall##. Then I'll just do the same thing with the letter "E" for "There Exists."

But wait, the letter "E" is vertically symmetric, it'll look the same!" *flips it horizontally instead.

2.)

"Hey, I know, for "There Exists," I'll just take the letter "E" and flip it horizontally, giving me this lovely ##\exists##. Then I'll just do the same thing with the letter "A" for "For All."

But wait, the letter "A" is horizontally symmetric, it'll look the same!" *flips it vertically instead.

So the question is, what came first, the ##\forall## or the ##\exists##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

From wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantification

4. Jul 27, 2013 #3
    Another mystery dispelled by wikipedia.

5. Jul 27, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True but probably irrelevant. Both symbols are rotated through 180 degrees.

Before computer typesetting, using metal type "upside down" was an easy way to get new symbols.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook