Flipping Functions: Determining Vertical/Horizontal Flips

• Thread starter soulmartyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two graphs, the first being f(x)=3√x and the second being a transformation of the first graph. The problem is to determine if the transformation is a vertical or horizontal flip, and how to differentiate between the two if they appear the same. The expert provides clarification on the notation used and explains that in this case, there is no difference between a horizontal and vertical flip. They also offer tips for finding symbols and typing out equations.
soulmartyr
The problem shows two graphs, the first of which is just f(x)=3√x (square root of x cubed -not sure how to make it look like that-) and it wants me to give a function for the graph on the right.
The second graph is flipped, vertically shifted 1 up f(x)+ 1 and horizontally shifted 2 right f(x-2).
My problem is/was I can't determine if it is a vertical or horizontal flip because square root of x cubed looks the same both ways. So I have an assumption, I would like to know if it's correct and a question.

It would have to be a vertical flip because a negative can be on the outside of a square root but not inside and still be a function?

Also if I come across this problem again, and the horizontal and vertical flip would both look the same what are some better ways of determining which it is?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
soulmartyr said:
The problem shows two graphs, the first of which is just f(x)=3√x (square root of x cubed -not sure how to make it look like that-)

The square root of x cubed looks like this [itex]\sqrt{x^3}[/itex] but I'm assuming what you meant to say is the cube root of x? [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] Like that?

soulmartyr said:
It would have to be a vertical flip because a negative can be on the outside of a square root but not inside and still be a function?
Not true. Since it's a cube root, you can have a negative inside of it with no complications.
For example, the cube root of negative 8 is negative two, and the cube root of positive 8 is positive 2.

soulmartyr said:
My problem is/was I can't determine if it is a vertical or horizontal flip because square root of x cubed looks the same both ways.
It looks the same, because it IS the same. There is no difference between a horizontal and vertical flip (in this case)

To flip it horizontally, you replace x with negative x (because you want to 'flip' the x axis) and so you get [itex]f(x)=\sqrt[3]{-x}[/itex]

To flip it vertically you replace y (or "f(x)") with negative y (because you want to 'flip' the y axis) so you get [itex]f(x)=-\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]

Let's compare those two functions.
Not only do they look the same visually (which is what is confusing you) but they ARE the same.

Look:

[itex]\sqrt[3]{-x}=\sqrt[3]{(-1)(x)}=\sqrt[3]{-1}\sqrt[3]{x}=-1\sqrt[3]{x}=-\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]

So you see, it truly does not matter which way you do it. Not visually, and not mathematically.

soulmartyr said:
The problem shows two graphs, the first of which is just f(x)=3√x (square root of x cubed -not sure how to make it look like that-)
This is very confusing. You wrote 3√x, which is 3 times the square root of x. You described this as the square root of x cubed, which could be either this --
$$\sqrt{x^3}$$
or this --
$$(\sqrt{x})^3$$

How you wrote it makes me think that you meant the cube root of x, which is ##\sqrt[3]{x}##. Which one is your problem?
soulmartyr said:
and it wants me to give a function for the graph on the right.
The second graph is flipped, vertically shifted 1 up f(x)+ 1 and horizontally shifted 2 right f(x-2). My problem is/was I can't determine if it is a vertical or horizontal flip because square root of x cubed looks the same both ways. So I have an assumption, I would like to know if it's correct and a question.

Also if I come across this problem again, and the horizontal and vertical flip would both look the same what are some better ways of determining which it is?

Mark44 said:
How you wrote it makes me think that you meant the cube root of x, which is ##\sqrt[3]{x}##. Which one is your problem?

What makes me even more certain that they meant [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] is that they said (or implied) that the function is odd.

Nathanael said:
The square root of x cubed looks like this [itex]\sqrt{x^3}[/itex] but I'm assuming what you meant to say is the cube root of x? [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] Like that?

I did mean cube root of X
ty and sorry for the confusion

your comparison was very helpful ty

Where do I learn how to make the rest of the symbols, besides the 'Quick symbols' given

soulmartyr said:
I did mean cube root of X
ty and sorry for the confusion

your comparison was very helpful ty

Where do I learn how to make the rest of the symbols, besides the 'Quick symbols' given

If you look at the top on the very right there's a sigma symbol [itex]\Sigma[/itex] which has a lot more symbols (it can sometimes be annoying to find what you're looking for at first)

A lot of them are simple though, and so if you use them enough you'll just type it out by hand

(for example, "x^2" gives you [itex]x^2[/itex])

awesome thanks again

Related to Flipping Functions: Determining Vertical/Horizontal Flips

1. What is a vertical flip?

A vertical flip is a transformation of a function that reflects it across the x-axis. This means that all the points on the graph of the function are flipped to the opposite side of the x-axis.

2. How do you determine if a function has been vertically flipped?

You can determine if a function has been vertically flipped by looking at the sign of the coefficient of the x term. If the coefficient is negative, the function has been vertically flipped. If the coefficient is positive, the function has not been flipped.

3. What is a horizontal flip?

A horizontal flip is a transformation of a function that reflects it across the y-axis. This means that all the points on the graph of the function are flipped to the opposite side of the y-axis.

4. How can you tell if a function has been horizontally flipped?

To determine if a function has been horizontally flipped, you can look at the sign of the coefficient of the y term. If the coefficient is negative, the function has been horizontally flipped. If the coefficient is positive, the function has not been flipped.

5. Can a function be both vertically and horizontally flipped?

Yes, a function can be both vertically and horizontally flipped. This means that the points on the graph of the function are flipped to the opposite sides of both the x-axis and the y-axis. This can occur when both the x and y coefficients are negative.