Which Equation Has the Greatest Rate of Change?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
GreenPrint
Messages
1,186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I believe it is no?
I'm asked which equation has the greatest rate of change, first derivative, going back to the deffinition of derivative I would say yes...

Well there are two equations I calculated the first derivative in one to be 2 and the other one to be -2... so if the derivative is a vector which my gut tells me it is then 2 would be the correct answer becasue it's greater in value than -2 but if the derivative is a scalar and only has direction the both answers have the greatest...

I also have a hunch that technically speaking right the derivative has no width right and so therefore is neither a scalar or a vector so...

please help which one has the greatest rate of change the one with the first derivative of 2 or -2... I don't know if it's a vector or not...

THANK YOU!

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Given an equation dependent on only one variable (say x), the derivative evaluated at a point for that equation is a scalar value, not a vector.

The rate of change they are asking for seems to be "direction" independent and so in your case the two functions have equal rates of change.