Calculators Which Graphing Calculator to buy?

• Thread starter Artermis
  • Start date
It's a good idea to make sure that the Ti-89 is allowed in the classes you plan to take, some professors do not allow it. I'd rather get a Ti89 due to it's greater capabilities, just make sure you're using it as a tool to learn and check your answers, not just doing the work for you (assuming you actually want to learn and not just past the class to get the credit).

Raider. said:
It's a good idea to make sure that the Ti-89 is allowed in the classes you plan to take, some professors do not allow it. I'd rather get a Ti89 due to it's greater capabilities, just make sure you're using it as a tool to learn and check your answers, not just doing the work for you (assuming you actually want to learn and not just past the class to get the credit).
Hmm--well, some professors might keep an eye over you, or be quite suspicious-->but why completely "forbid" the Ti-89? It can give you the answer, but you must show your work and that you understand the procedure/concept mathematically and intuitively. (Unfortunately my programs show the work as well, but how would you write such programs from scratch without the conceptual-mathematical (and little programming:smile:) understanding?)

As for the intrinsic desire to learn vs. the extrinsic reward of passing credit, wouldn't that depend on the person? If the class or the class knowledge is not really needed for one's true educational goal/major, why take the time to understand the material-->as some colleges might assign one or several classes/electives irrelevant in material to a student's indented major, maybe for credit or for general education, or weird prereqs...etc. Personally, I plan to major in math and physics (Undoubtedly pure math, but not sure "which physics" to major in...meaning masters and, with much time, a PhD i hope), and to minor in philosophy and psychology and chemistry. Yes, I will narrow down this list, but definitely my first major (and PhD i hope with time)->mathematics! So yes, learn and get a Ti89! :biggrin:
(Faster problem solving, but eventually a Ti92 if you are extremely "INTO" graphing calculators)

it has been my experience that the teachers don't care what calculators you use...

because calculators aren't allowed on tests! i've had calc II, III, diff eq, and complex variables, and it's always the same story: use whatever you like for the homework, but tests and quizzes... just you, your pencil, and the paper.

however, in my phyiscs 2 class, we were allowed to use calculators on our test. so if your school has this sort of policy, definitely go with the best you can get (ti-89!), i think.

Comment on "yourdadonapogostick"

if you want an 89, you might as well go for an 89 titanium. it has likw twice the memory and it has 16 preloaded programs on it.
But your sentence contradicts what is written on their official "comparison chart": education.ti.com/studentzone/product/courseCompareChart.html

where 10 apps only are installed as far as I see from the chart. Any comments ?

Also, as an update for this thread: How is the 89 Titanium compared to the newer NSPIRE CAS ?

go for the ti-89. you wont regret it!! INTEGRATION.

Also, if you plan on taking the AP Calculus test, the TI-89 is a huge advantage on the multiple choice calculator section.

i use TI 84+ Silver Edition.
However i think TI 89 is more helpful.Though at that time it was cheaper than TI 84. (seriously!) but my teacher prefered TI 83, or 84 and only taught us how to use those. that's why i hv to buy 84.

You're not serious, are you? Learning the TI-89's interface/inputs is way, way easier than anything with Mathematica.
And Maple is much easier than both.

I would recommend buying a student copy of Maple for $99 (less if your campus computer store has a deal; mine has it for $20). And for class buy yourself a decent scientific like the http://www.casio.com/products/Calculators_&_Dictionaries/Scientific_&_Financial/FX-115ES/" [Broken] for $15.

If you do just have to have a graphing calculator, strongly consider getting the HP 50g instead of a TI.

Last edited by a moderator: