Which group has greater steric hindrance?

In summary, steric hindrance is the physical obstruction or hindrance caused by bulky groups or atoms in a molecule, which can affect its reactivity and stability. The size of a molecule is directly related to the amount of steric hindrance it may possess, as larger molecules tend to have more bulky groups. Steric hindrance is different from steric effects, which includes the influence of non-bulky atoms or groups on a molecule's properties. Aryl groups typically have greater steric hindrance than alkyl groups due to their larger size and bulkier structures. Steric hindrance can impact chemical reactions by affecting the rate, selectivity, and stability of reactants, intermediates, and products.
vetgirl1990
Does an amino group or ethyl group have greater steric hindrance?
Is there a "rule" that I can follow to determine this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rule 1: "Size." So, you tell me which is larger?

Likes vetgirl1990
Bystander said:
Rule 1: "Size." So, you tell me which is larger?
Well the molecular weight of CH2CH3 is 29g/mol, and NH2 is 16g/mol. Ethyl is larger, so I guess I have my answer then!

1. What is steric hindrance?

Steric hindrance refers to the physical obstruction or hindrance caused by bulky groups or atoms in a molecule. This can affect the reactivity and stability of the molecule.

2. How is steric hindrance related to molecular size?

The larger the size of a molecule, the more steric hindrance it may possess due to the presence of bulky groups. This can affect the shape and flexibility of the molecule, leading to different properties and behaviors.

3. What is the difference between steric hindrance and steric effects?

Steric hindrance specifically refers to the hindrance caused by bulky groups in a molecule, while steric effects can also include the influence of non-bulky atoms or groups on the reactivity and properties of a molecule.

4. Which group has greater steric hindrance: alkyl or aryl?

Aryl groups typically have greater steric hindrance than alkyl groups due to their larger size and bulkier structures. However, this can also depend on the specific arrangement and substitution patterns of the groups in a molecule.

5. How does steric hindrance impact chemical reactions?

Steric hindrance can affect the rate and selectivity of chemical reactions by hindering the approach of reactants and interfering with the formation of bonds. It can also affect the stability and reactivity of intermediates and products in a reaction.