Which ∆H Should Be Used in Chemical Equations and Potential Energy Diagrams?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
rowkem
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
So,

I did 5 labs where I burned certain things and found the temp. diff. in the calorimeter. That said, I calculated the ∆H for the entire system, the ∆H per gram of system substance, and the ∆H per mol of system substance.

Im wondering which ∆H I should be putting into my chemical equation for the reaction, as well the ∆H I should be putting into my potential energy diagram? I have a feeling its the ∆H per mole but, I'd like a second opinion. Thanks,
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Most likely you want to use the mols of the substance in your equations. Write out a proper unit formula and you can see for sure whether you need the mols or grams based on what cancels and what you end up with.