1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is easier to learn, QM or GR?

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    I will eventually learn both, but as far as mathematics goes (not concept,) which is easier to learn, Quantum Mechanics or General Relativity? I really am asking in terms of mathematics, because I know Quantum Mechanics has more application but I am not using that as a factor.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    Both require something which most regard at first sight to be 'new and tricky'. For QM you will need to learn all about vector spaces and operator algebra, whereas GR needs a firm grounding in differential topology and tensor analysis.

I suppose both are equally difficult at first look, since both require mathematical concepts of the like you will not have encountered before.

,Simon

4. May 31, 2010 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Definitely QM: At the introductory level it's mostly linear algebra, and some PDEs. You may have already picked all of this up in your studies. GR on the other hand needs a good amount of what is probably new math: namely differential geometry and tensor analysis.

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    Heh, for a second I read QM as "QFT." I'd definitely say QM. Yeah, you need to learn a bunch of linear algebra, but most people do that their sophomore year. And since the new math is introduced in a physics context, I found QM a lot easier than GR.

6. Jun 2, 2010 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

GR.

How many one-semester courses are used to cover QM in a typical undergrad program? How many one-semester courses are used to cover GR in a typical undergrad program?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook