Which is more elegant in physical analysis, Calculus or Algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of elegance in mathematical proofs and solutions. The speaker has been studying physics for two years and has been exploring different derivations of concepts using both calculus and algebra. They are wondering which approach is more elegant and accessible to a wider audience. The conversation also touches on the subjective nature of elegance and how it can vary depending on the situation. Finally, they provide an example of how geometry can sometimes be the most elegant solution.

Which is more elegant in physical proof, calculus or algebra?

• Algebra

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Calculus

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Dbjergaard
I have been studying physics for two years. (High school physics supplemented by the Feynman lectures, as well as an algebra based freshman course) Lately, I've been looking of various derivations of things (escape velocity, kinematic equations etc.) and wondering which is more elegant in a physical proof of a concept or equation. Is it calculus or algebra? Calculus, in it self is elegant, but in algebra is more simplistic, and is accessible to a wider audience. I'm slightly partial towards calculus as being more elegant, but I could be swayed either way. What are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Elegance is a tough thing to quantify. If we define "elegance" as the number of steps used to reach a solution or proof, then I would venture that calculus could probably be regarded as a more elegant method in most circumstances (but not all). If however, you define elegance as a measure of how easy the method is to understand, then algebra might come up trumps if the target audience do not have a strong understanding of calculus.

Elegance though in my opinion is a subjective, almost aesthetic virtue in mathematics.

Claude.

Sometimes the algebraic approach is much more elegant than a calculus approach. Case in point - selection rules for transitions.

Sometimes the geometrical solution is the most elegant... it really depends.

This was a problem from a mathematical problem solving class in college:

Consider two vertical flagpoles, with heights h_A and h_B, separated by a distance d on level ground.
Locate a point C on the ground such that the total length of an ideal rope from the top of A to C on the ground, back up to the top of B is as short as possible.

The prof led us through three solutions... calculus, algebraic, and geometrical.
The calculus and algebraic solutions took a few boards. Then he said, "Geometric solution: 2 seconds!"

And then there's intuition - typical time < 1 sec. No need to flip a flagpole...just go with similar triangles.

Math, like phyics, is very inelegant in classical terms. Algebra is deterministic, the universe more resembles a poorly defined calculus problem.

1. Which is more commonly used in physical analysis, Calculus or Algebra?

In general, Calculus is used more frequently in physical analysis. This is because it allows for the analysis of changes and rates of change, which are crucial in understanding physical systems.

2. Is one more accurate than the other in physical analysis?

Both Calculus and Algebra are equally accurate in physical analysis. However, Calculus is better suited for analyzing continuous functions and changes over time, while Algebra is better for discrete values and static systems.

3. Can I use both Calculus and Algebra together in physical analysis?

Yes, it is common to use both Calculus and Algebra together in physical analysis. They complement each other and can provide a more comprehensive understanding of a system.

4. Is one easier to learn than the other for physical analysis?

This is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may find Algebra easier to grasp, while others may find Calculus more intuitive. It ultimately depends on an individual's strengths and learning style.

5. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to use Calculus in physical analysis?

Having a strong mathematical foundation is helpful in understanding and applying Calculus in physical analysis. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and use Calculus effectively in analyzing physical systems.