1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is the area of each faces for the rectangular prism.

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Considering a rectangular prism bounded by six rectangular faces (x=2, y=0.5,
    z=1) and a cylinder (r=0.5, heigh h=2) that cut the rectangular prism in x=1
    y=0 and z=0 with a inclination of 45 grads in y and z. Which is the area of
    each faces for the rectangular prism. I need not the numerically solutions but
    the analytically solution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The area of each face of a rectangular prism is Ar=a*b but now I must rest the
    area of the cylinder. The cylinder area is known as Ac=2*pi*r*h. But this is
    not the result. If the rectangular prism would be a cube, it would be very
    easy: the area of the rectangle minus the area of the semicircle. But in this
    case I think I have to consider that the cylinder cut the rectangular prism
    with a inclination, but I am not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: geometry

That's only 3 faces. I would assume the other 3 are x=0, y= 0, z= 0 but you mention x= 1 below. Are the faces x= 1, y= 0, z= 0, x= 2, y= 0.5, z= 1?

The height is not relevant if the cylinder goes all the way through the prism. But the precise location is. What line is the axis of the cylinder? "45 grads"= [itex]0.45\pi/2[/itex] radians.

The area of the faces is trivial. Do you mean the area of each face inside the cylinder?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?