Which is the better choice, linear algebra or differential equations?

In summary, both linear algebra and differential equations are important for physics majors, but if you have a strong foundation in calculus, you can probably do well in either one.
Wm_Davies
I am an undergraduate physics major and I have a choice of taking linear algebra or differential equations in the fall. I was wondering which class would benefit me and my choice of a major more. Obviously I will talk this out further with my advisor, but I am looking for some outside opinions.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to take both in due time, I took linear algebra first, but it is useful to be able to solve some basic differential equations for solving simple harmonic oscillators in your first mechanics and E/M courses. In my school, the physics professor "taught" how to solve the DE's we needed to solve as we went along. Not rigorous enough for further study, but it allowed us to get by before taking a DE class. Your advisor should be able to tell you what you will be expected to know in your physics classes.

depends on what you do. if you want a future in quantum mechanics go with linear algebra. if you want thermodynamics and classical mechanics you probably will want differential equations. regardless you should take both eventually.

Take Linear first. There's not any area of math where the ideas from Linear don't come in handy (including, as a previous poster pointed out, in DE's).

Differential equations comes up a lot, but like others have said, if you do well enough in calculus, you can probably pick up enough to get you one your way. Linear algebra, I haven't used much yet, but it's starting to creep up in the quantum mechanics class I'm currently taking... but differential equations hit us right from the start in this class. So yeah, both are really important & you really needed them both. Some schools require linear before differential, this is because in differential you'll see matrices pop up, although I did it backwards, I took differential before linear.

Both are absolutely fundamental for physics. Take both as early as you can. I took them simultaneously over the summer.

I would suggest both. That being said, however, you might end up learning allot of linear algebra in a differential equations class (I know I did), so if you have to choose one...

kuahji said:
Differential equations comes up a lot, but like others have said, if you do well enough in calculus, you can probably pick up enough to get you one your way. Linear algebra, I haven't used much yet, but it's starting to creep up in the quantum mechanics class I'm currently taking... but differential equations hit us right from the start in this class. So yeah, both are really important & you really needed them both. Some schools require linear before differential, this is because in differential you'll see matrices pop up, although I did it backwards, I took differential before linear.
You can't do PDE's properly without linear algebra either.

Thanks for the input. After reviewing both subjects I feel that it is best to take both. My major only requires me to have up to multivariable calc, but I can see where more training in math would greatly benefit me.

1. What is the difference between linear algebra and differential equations?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It focuses on the study of solutions to systems of linear equations and their properties. Differential equations, on the other hand, are equations that involve derivatives and describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical phenomena, such as motion and growth.

2. Which one is more useful in real-world applications?

Both linear algebra and differential equations are essential in various real-world applications. Linear algebra is used in fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, and engineering, while differential equations are used in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It ultimately depends on the specific application and problem at hand.

3. Is it necessary to be proficient in both linear algebra and differential equations?

Having a good understanding of both linear algebra and differential equations is beneficial for a scientist. While some problems may require knowledge of only one of these subjects, many real-world applications involve both. Being proficient in both can help in solving complex problems and understanding the underlying mathematical concepts.

4. Which one is more challenging to learn?

This question is subjective and may vary from person to person. Some may find linear algebra more challenging due to its abstract nature and focus on vector spaces, while others may struggle with the complex concepts and techniques involved in differential equations. It ultimately depends on the individual's mathematical background and learning style.

5. Can linear algebra and differential equations be used together?

Yes, linear algebra and differential equations can be used together to solve various problems. In many real-world applications, linear algebra is used to formulate the problem, while differential equations are used to model the system's behavior. Solving these equations often involves using linear algebra techniques such as matrix operations and eigenvectors. Therefore, having a good understanding of both subjects is important for effectively solving these problems.