Which major is more related to space-time subjects ?

In summary, it depends on what you want to do with your degree, and whether or not you want to pursue a career in space-time related fields. If you're interested in pursuing a career in space-time related fields, you should consider studying something you're passionate about, and look into career opportunities in labs.
giang271291
Hello everyone,

I like studying space-time related subjects and want to do something relating to those after graduated. My university offers 2 majors which I think both have sth to do with space-time: Cosmology and High Energy Particle Physics. Both seems equally interesting so I'm having difficulty choosing one. Can you give me some advices or your opinions ?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
giang271291 said:
Hello everyone,

I like studying space-time related subjects and want to do something relating to those after graduated. My university offers 2 majors which I think both have sth to do with space-time: Cosmology and High Energy Particle Physics. Both seems equally interesting so I'm having difficulty choosing one. Can you give me some advices or your opinions ?

Thanks a lot.

It depends what you mean by space-time subjects... both will get into that stuff though. Isn't there just a standard physics major? I also highly suggest taking some philosophy, especially philosophy of physics, philosophy of quantum mechanics, or metaphysics. There may be some other particular course that would cover space-time too. Those subjects study the space-time (and other) assumptions made by physics.

kote said:
It depends what you mean by space-time subjects... both will get into that stuff though. Isn't there just a standard physics major? I also highly suggest taking some philosophy, especially philosophy of physics, philosophy of quantum mechanics, or metaphysics. There may be some other particular course that would cover space-time too. Those subjects study the space-time (and other) assumptions made by physics.

Well, maybe I was a little vague there. Yes, there is Theoretical Physics major, too. It's just...I think theoretical physicists may have a little difficulty finding job outside the academic field. Well, space-time is certainly a theory-stink subject, and perhaps CERN is the only non-academic faculty for it, but I still try not to be too restricted in my career path. I don't hope that I can get to NASA or CERN, but at least with background in Cosmology or HEP, I think I can find technical works in some small research or applied science centers easier (After all, at least after getting a PhD can I really study space-time. Before that I need some jobs, and I want to be a little flexible).

What do you think ?

Last edited:
If you're looking for a job it's an entirely different question :smile:. I went for an engineering degree and management job...

I think the standard advice would be make sure you study something you're passionate about if going for a PhD. I'm not really an expert on job opportunities in labs. I know we occasionally hire condensed matter physicists and experimental types for our labs, but I don't know if there are any industry jobs for cosmology etc.

kote said:
If you're looking for a job it's an entirely different question :smile:. I went for an engineering degree and management job...

I think the standard advice would be make sure you study something you're passionate about if going for a PhD. I'm not really an expert on job opportunities in labs. I know we occasionally hire condensed matter physicists and experimental types for our labs, but I don't know if there are any industry jobs for cosmology etc.

Well that's true. Honestly, I don't think cosmologists or HEPists have much higher job oppotunities than theorists. Perhaps I will finally end up teaching, too. Maybe I should consider choosing Theoretical or Applied Phys instead.

Thanks for replying this boring topic, kote :biggrin:

What is space-time?

Space-time is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) and the fourth dimension of time. It is a framework used to understand the physical universe and how objects move through it.

Which majors are related to space-time subjects?

Majors that are related to space-time subjects include physics, astronomy, cosmology, and astrophysics. These fields study the laws of nature, the behavior of celestial objects, and the origins and evolution of the universe.

What is the difference between physics and astronomy?

Physics is a broad field of science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. Astronomy, on the other hand, is a subfield of physics that focuses specifically on the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe.

How can a major in space-time subjects lead to a career?

A major in space-time subjects can lead to a variety of careers, including research positions in academia or government agencies, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and science communication. It can also provide a strong foundation for further studies in fields such as medicine, law, or business.

Are there any prerequisites for studying space-time subjects?

While there are no specific prerequisites for studying space-time subjects, having a strong background in mathematics and physics is highly recommended. It is also important to have a passion for understanding the physical world and a curiosity for exploring the unknown.