Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which major is more related to space-time subjects ?

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone,

I like studying space-time related subjects and want to do something relating to those after graduated. My university offers 2 majors which I think both have sth to do with space-time: Cosmology and High Energy Particle Physics. Both seems equally interesting so I'm having difficulty choosing one. Can you give me some advices or your opinions ?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    It depends what you mean by space-time subjects... both will get into that stuff though. Isn't there just a standard physics major? I also highly suggest taking some philosophy, especially philosophy of physics, philosophy of quantum mechanics, or metaphysics. There may be some other particular course that would cover space-time too. Those subjects study the space-time (and other) assumptions made by physics.

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Well, maybe I was a little vague there. Yes, there is Theoretical Physics major, too. It's just...I think theoretical physicists may have a little difficulty finding job outside the academic field. Well, space-time is certainly a theory-stink subject, and perhaps CERN is the only non-academic faculty for it, but I still try not to be too restricted in my career path. I don't hope that I can get to NASA or CERN, but at least with background in Cosmology or HEP, I think I can find technical works in some small research or applied science centers easier (After all, at least after getting a PhD can I really study space-time. Before that I need some jobs, and I want to be a little flexible).

What do you think ?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. Mar 15, 2010 #4
    If you're looking for a job it's an entirely different question :smile:. I went for an engineering degree and management job...

I think the standard advice would be make sure you study something you're passionate about if going for a PhD. I'm not really an expert on job opportunities in labs. I know we occasionally hire condensed matter physicists and experimental types for our labs, but I don't know if there are any industry jobs for cosmology etc.

6. Mar 15, 2010 #5
    Well that's true. Honestly, I don't think cosmologists or HEPists have much higher job oppotunities than theorists. Perhaps I will finally end up teaching, too. Maybe I should consider choosing Theoretical or Applied Phys instead.

Thanks for replying this boring topic, kote :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook