Which material to use for these requirements?

• Thread starter Randoms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the ideal material for the given set of requirements would be glass reinforced liquid crystal polymer, which has a very low heat expansion similar to iron/steel and is non-conductive, non-magnetic, readily available, and stable without the need for chemical processing. However, it can be dangerous to work with due to the glass content, so proper safety measures must be taken.
Randoms
I would like to know what material would be the best choice for this set of requirements:
- Non-conductive
- Non-magnetic
- Very low heat expansion (similar to iron/steel)
- Readily available to work on (cut, glue, cnc) so I can buy in the shop in sheets or so
- No need for melting or processing chemically, stable as it is
- Not poisonous

PVC/ABS/PET is almost looked good to me just heat expansion is too much. Is there any better than that?

(Well, I am not sure if this really should go under chemistry; although this looked the best place for me.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Randoms said:
I would like to know what material would be the best choice for this set of requirements:
- Non-conductive
- Non-magnetic
- Very low heat expansion (similar to iron/steel)
- Readily available to work on (cut, glue, cnc) so I can buy in the shop in sheets or so
- No need for melting or processing chemically, stable as it is
- Not poisonous

PVC/ABS/PET is almost looked good to me just heat expansion is too much. Is there any better than that?

(Well, I am not sure if this really should go under chemistry; although this looked the best place for me.)
How about some variety of wood?

Yeah, but what do you want is use it for?

Likes 256bits
wood, drywall sheets, glass panels, fiberglass, concrete, leather, cloth rolls, ...

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I was going to tell you carbon fiber, but it's not readily available and it conducts electricity.

(carbon fiber is dynamite for bicycles, though)

Your glass reinforced polymers are on the order of double the coefficient of expansion of steel. Is that similar enough?

As for poisonous and easy to work you have to make your own decision. The glass in them ruins tools and can cause silicosis. As long as proper PPE is used it is no more dangerous than clay.

Glass reinforced liquid crystal polymer can be as low as half that of steel.

BoB

Last edited:

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a material for a specific requirement?

When selecting a material for a specific requirement, there are several factors to consider. These include mechanical properties such as strength, hardness, and flexibility, as well as chemical properties like corrosion resistance, thermal properties, and cost. It is also important to consider the intended application and environment in which the material will be used.

2. How do I determine the appropriate material for a specific application?

The best way to determine the appropriate material for a specific application is to carefully evaluate the requirements of the application and match them with the properties of different materials. This may involve consulting material databases, conducting experiments, or seeking advice from experts in the field.

3. Can I use any material for a specific requirement?

No, not all materials are suitable for every requirement. Some materials may be too weak, too brittle, or too reactive for a specific application. It is important to carefully consider the properties of different materials and select the one that best meets the requirements.

4. Are there any standards or guidelines for selecting materials?

Yes, there are international standards and guidelines that can provide guidance for selecting materials for specific applications. These standards take into account factors such as mechanical properties, chemical resistance, and environmental considerations to help ensure the appropriate material is selected.

5. How do I balance cost and performance when selecting a material?

Balancing cost and performance when selecting a material is a common challenge. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of the application and prioritize them. In some cases, it may be worth investing in a more expensive material that will provide better performance and durability in the long run. However, in other cases, a more cost-effective material may be suitable. Ultimately, the decision should be based on a careful evaluation of all factors and weighing the potential benefits and drawbacks of each material.