Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which material to use for these requirements?

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1
    I would like to know what material would be the best choice for this set of requirements:
    - Non-conductive
    - Non-magnetic
    - Very low heat expansion (similar to iron/steel)
    - Readily available to work on (cut, glue, cnc) so I can buy in the shop in sheets or so
    - No need for melting or processing chemically, stable as it is
    - Not poisonous

PVC/ABS/PET is almost looked good to me just heat expansion is too much. Is there any better than that?

(Well, I am not sure if this really should go under chemistry; although this looked the best place for me.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about some variety of wood?

4. Apr 5, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, but what do you want is use it for?

5. Apr 5, 2016 #4
    wood, drywall sheets, glass panels, fiberglass, concrete, leather, cloth rolls, ......

6. Apr 5, 2016 #5

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was going to tell you carbon fiber, but it's not readily available and it conducts electricity.

(carbon fiber is dynamite for bicycles, though)

7. Apr 5, 2016 #6

rbelli1

Gold Member

Your glass reinforced polymers are on the order of double the coefficient of expansion of steel. Is that similar enough?

As for poisonous and easy to work you have to make your own decision. The glass in them ruins tools and can cause silicosis. As long as proper PPE is used it is no more dangerous than clay.

Glass reinforced liquid crystal polymer can be as low as half that of steel.

BoB

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted