Which noble gas configuration is attained in the Lewis structure of COF2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
cosmictide
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement

For the elements in COF2, which noble gas electronic configuration is attained in the Lewis structure.



The attempt at a solution

I'm guessing that each element has a noble gas configuration of neon. Would that be correct. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A noble gas has a full outer shell, or more particularly, a full 'p' subshell.

For example, the electronic configuration of Kr in the ground state electron configuration is: [Ar].3d10.4s2.4p6

Similarly for Xe: [Kr].4d10.5s2.5p6

In the molecule, COF2, which element (atom) is most likely to fill its p-subshell?
 
Astronuc said:
A noble gas has a full outer shell, or more particularly, a full 'p' subshell.

For example, the electronic configuration of Kr in the ground state electron configuration is: [Ar].3d10.4s2.4p6

Similarly for Xe: [Kr].4d10.5s2.5p6

In the molecule, COF2, which element (atom) is most likely to fill its p-subshell?

Thanks for replying.

F has 7 valence electrons so I'm guessing that it's the most likely to fill its p shell which would give it the noble gas electronic configuration of neon. But when it comes to COF2 wouldn't all the atoms have a full outer shell by sharing electrons. Sorry I'm just a little confused I'd really appreciate if you could point in the right direction.

Thanks.
 
cosmictide said:
Thanks for replying.

F has 7 valence electrons so I'm guessing that it's the most likely to fill its p shell which would give it the noble gas electronic configuration of neon. But when it comes to COF2 wouldn't all the atoms have a full outer shell by sharing electrons. Sorry I'm just a little confused I'd really appreciate if you could point in the right direction.

Thanks.
Well, the number of electrons is conserved in a neutral molecule.

In order for F to fill it's outer shell, what must happen? Where does the electron originate to fill the p-subshell?

Also, look at the electron configurations of C and O. What must happen for those atoms to fill their p-subshell?
 
Astronuc said:
Well, the number of electrons is conserved in a neutral molecule.

In order for F to fill it's outer shell, what must happen? Where does the electron originate to fill the p-subshell?

Also, look at the electron configurations of C and O. What must happen for those atoms to fill their p-subshell?

I'm guessing that the electron would originate from the carbon atom.

Carbon needs 4 electrons and oxygen needs 2 electrons in order to fill their p shells. So in this case am I correct in thinking that all the atoms fill their p shells by sharing electrons? If that was the case wouldn't they all have the same electronic configuration as neon since their electronic configuration would be 1s22s22p6? What am I missing?

Thanks.
 
cosmictide said:
I'm guessing that each element has a noble gas configuration of neon.

Looks OK to me.

Try to draw Lewis structure.
 
Borek said:
Looks OK to me.

Try to draw Lewis structure.

Thank you :smile: