• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Which of the following describes an object with a non-zero net force acting on it?

• Thread starter Wolves
  • Start date
Homework Statement
Which of the following describes an object with a non-zero net force acting on it? Choose all that apply.
Homework Equations
The truck slowed down while making a right turn.
The motorcycle traveled at a constant speed while making a u-turn.
The moped accelerated while making a left turn.
The car sped up from 50 mph to 65 mph while moving in a straight line.
The spaceship traveled at a constant speed in a straight line.
I attempted this question 3 times. The first time I picked the 2nd and 5th answer. The second time I picked the 2nd answer and the third time I picked the 5th answer.

I figured this question out. To help other people, The answer is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I figured this question out. To help other people, The answer is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
That's all very good. However, to help other people even better, can you explain why you picked the first four choices and not the fifth choice?

That's all very good. However, to help other people even better, can you explain why you picked the first four choices and not the fifth choice?
I picked the first four because I looked up the what is happening to an object when a non zero force is acting upon it. It is when the object is either speeding up, slowing down or changing direction. Number 1, 3 and 4 are either speeding up or changing direction. Number 2 is changing direction. Number 5 does not qualify because the vehicle is moving in a straight line at a constant acceleration.

berkeman

Mentor
Very good! What fundamental equation covers this question? :smile: