Which of the Following is a solution to the differential Equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Northbysouth
Messages
241
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Which fot he following is a solution to the differential equation:

t2y" - 2ty' + 2y = 0

a)e-2tt3

b)et

c)t

d) t4

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I tried answer d first:

y = t4

y' = 4t3

y" = 12t2

Plugging in these derivatives:

t2(12t2) - 2t(4t3) + 2(t4) = 0

I also checked with y = t and this solution works as well. So how do I distinguish between which one is the correct answer?
 
Attachments
  • math 2214 quiz 1 1.png
    math 2214 quiz 1 1.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
\neq
Northbysouth said:
t2(12t2) - 2t(4t3) + 2(t4) = 0

I also checked with y = t and this solution works as well. So how do I distinguish between which one is the correct answer?

I think you just made an arithmetic mistake ;)
[tex]t^2(12t^2) - 2t(4t^3) + 2(t^4) = 12t^4 - 8t^4 + 2t^4 = 6t^4 \neq 0[/tex]

In many cases, DE's can have multiple different solutions.