Which plane of GaN gives an image of dots placed hexagonally

In summary, the electron microscope image of GaN shows a hexagonal pattern with white dots corresponding to columns of gallium atoms. There is no dot in the center of each hexagonal, indicating a single-crystal plane. No nitrogen atoms are seen in the image, suggesting that it is being viewed along the c-direction of a wurtzite crystal. The specific c-plane (Ga-face or N-face) cannot be determined from the information given.
LotsEp
An electron microscope image of GaN seen in projection shows white dots which correspond to columns of gallium atoms observed in projection. The dots show a hexagonal pattern but there is not a dot in the centre of each hexagonal. No nitrogen atoms are seen in the image. Which plane of this wurtzite crystal is being viewed along>

Physics news on Phys.org
LotsEp said:
An electron microscope image of GaN seen in projection shows white dots which correspond to columns of gallium atoms observed in projection. The dots show a hexagonal pattern but there is not a dot in the centre of each hexagonal. No nitrogen atoms are seen in the image. Which plane of this wurtzite crystal is being viewed along>

This is awfully vague. First of all, can't you cite your source, or show the actual image?

Secondly, what kind of "an electron microscope" is this? SEM? TEM? PEEM? etc... Please note that it would extremely helpful if you present a full, complete, and concise information when you are seeing help such as this. And always make it a habit to provide full citation to the source!

Zz.

I have been given a handout with the question and this photo. The type of electron microscope is not specified either. This is as much information as I have. How much can we deduce from this image?
GaN.png

LotsEp said:
I have been given a handout with the question and this photo. The type of electron microscope is not specified either. This is as much information as I have. How much can we deduce from this image?

You have a plane of single-crystal hexagonal lattice. If you have a fiducial length on the screen (i.e. a scale), then you can estimate the lattice constant.

Zz.

Along which direction in a wurtzite crystal is that? Sorry I am very new to the field...

LotsEp said:
Along which direction in a wurtzite crystal is that? Sorry I am very new to the field...

If it is Wurtzite GaN, the hexagonal arrangement of atoms is a clear evidence of c-plane. As in which c-plane (Ga-face or N-face) is beyond my knowledge. So you are viewing along the c-direction. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. What is GaN?

GaN stands for Gallium Nitride, which is a compound made up of the elements gallium and nitrogen. It is commonly used in the production of semiconductors and electronic devices.

2. How does GaN produce an image of dots?

GaN has unique properties that allow it to emit light when an electric current is passed through it. This light emission can be controlled to create an image of dots on a surface.

3. What is the significance of placing the dots hexagonally?

Hexagonal placement of dots allows for a more efficient use of space and produces a more uniform and aesthetically pleasing image. It also has practical applications in LED displays and microchips.

4. Which plane of GaN is best for producing an image of dots placed hexagonally?

The (0001) plane of GaN, also known as the c-plane, is the most commonly used for creating hexagonal dot patterns. This is because it has the highest surface energy and therefore allows for better control of the dot formation.

5. Can other materials be used to produce an image of dots placed hexagonally?

Yes, other materials such as zinc oxide and silicon can also be used to produce hexagonal dot patterns. However, GaN is preferred for its superior light emission properties and its ability to be grown in large quantities.