- 5,964
- 727
Hmm, interesting.twofish-quant said:The other interesting thing were some public opinion polls that I've seen that showed that space exploration even in the 1960's was never particularly popular.
I think a lot of the blame lies with commentators and SF writers who baselessly extrapolated the huge advances in transport technology in the first half of the 20th century. When you go from first powered flight to landing on the Moon in 60 years it's easy but flawed to expect this trend to continue.twofish-quant said:Blame Gene Roddenberry, George Lucas, and the writers of Doctor Who. Then there are the directors of Avatar, Aliens, and about a dozen other science fiction movies.
I don't think we have a hope in hell in making anywhere else suitable for life if we can't maintain and fix this planet to how we need and want. The technology and industry requirements are the same if not far easier for doing things on Earth.twofish-quant said:It's been argued that we are causing a mass extinction event without even trying that hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction
One reason that I don't think that it may be such a good idea to even try to make another planet suitable for human life is that we will be lucky if we just don't totally mess up this one.