Which point to sum the moments?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving finding the normal forces on a crate. The solution involves summing moments about point G, but the student is confused about why this is necessary. They attempted to sum moments about points C and D, but this approach was incorrect. The other person explains that summing moments about G avoids the need to consider the crate's centripetal motion. The student also asks about the acceleration components in the moment equation.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
ttiFC.png

Here is the solution:
nO01d.png

I am confused about part c.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at part c:
vfZNS.png

I don't get why the answer key solution sums the moments about point G. I decided to sum up the moments about C and D and found out both normal forces are 0.5mg. However I quickly find out this is wrong because I am unable to solve the rest of the problem (which I did not include).

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take moments about D, say, you should not get a zero result. The crate's mass centre is accelerating to maintain its centripetal motion. This requires a moment about D. Taking moments about G avoids this.

What about [itex]ma_{x}[/itex] and [itex]ma_{y}[/itex] in your moment equation?

P.S. Sorry haruspex, I didn't see you already replied.

1. What is the definition of "summing the moments" in scientific terms?

In science, summing the moments refers to the mathematical process of calculating the total torque or rotational force applied to an object. It involves multiplying the magnitude of the force by its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. Why is it important to determine the correct point to sum the moments?

Determining the correct point to sum the moments is crucial in accurately analyzing the rotational motion of an object. It allows us to calculate the net torque and predict the object's angular acceleration or stability.

3. How do you determine which point to sum the moments when dealing with multiple forces?

To determine which point to sum the moments, you must first identify the axis of rotation and then choose a point that is perpendicular to that axis. This point should be one where the forces acting on the object intersect or pass through.

4. Can the point to sum the moments change in different situations?

Yes, the point to sum the moments can change depending on the situation. For example, when analyzing the motion of a pendulum, the point to sum the moments would be the point of suspension. However, if the pendulum is swinging at an angle, the point to sum the moments would be the pivot point where the string is attached.

5. What are some common mistakes made when determining the point to sum the moments?

One common mistake is choosing a point that is not perpendicular to the axis of rotation. This will result in an incorrect calculation of the net torque. Another mistake is not considering all the forces acting on the object and only summing the moments of a few forces. This will also lead to an inaccurate analysis of the rotational motion.