Which project should I choose for a final year major project?

In summary, if you choose a subject which is easy to learn and has readily accessible training data, it will be easier to construct the model.
shivajikobardan
TL;DR Summary
final year project
My criteria for choosing this project-:

1) Should be easy.

2) Should be doable in 1.5 months.

3) Should not to be too easy and should be just hard enough to be a major project.

4) It is a group project but since this is nepal lol mainly 1 person is going to do it. max 2 persons will do this.

5) Our skill level is not much. The one who is doing the project knows how to code in django and is good with programming. I personally know the basics of python but I have never made any projects

6) We will do projects that have course tutorial. The reason is due to 5) our skill level is not that much so.

these are the types of project our friends are doing for example. if you want to see the complexity of the project that our friends are doing so that you could help us choose it.

what project should I choose out of those many many projects? I know it is a tough call...to see 500 projects and tell me one, but I would really be glad if you could do that for me by scanning through it a bit...

thank you..
https://www.docdroid.net/KH1DOdu/projects-pdf

Technology news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
Summary:: final year project

5) Our skill level is not much. The one who is doing the project knows how to code in django and is good with programming. I personally know the basics of python but I have never made any projects
This is your final year project? Is it for high school? Certainly you are not in your final year of Computer Science at university, right?

From some of your previous threads, it seems like you are just starting to learn Computer Science and how to code...
shivajikobardan said:
This is not properly documented. So I am wondering how to run this code? I know it is too much of work for you...but if you have time it would be really nice of you.

http://cvit.iiit.ac.in/research/projects/cvit-projects/speaking-by-observing-lip-movements
shivajikobardan said:
Summary:: learning plateau

I have reached a place where I can no more learn new concepts. I feel totally stuck.How do I deal with learning plateau? How do I overcome this plateau. Few things that come in my mind-:

1) Follow a good course from a good teacher.

2) Read it aloud.

3) Practice the same thing multiple things to get insights. deliberate practice

What else can I do to overcome this learning plateau?

• Sad
Likes shivajikobardan
berkeman said:
This is your final year project? Is it for high school? Certainly you are not in your final year of Computer Science at university, right?

From some of your previous threads, it seems like you are just starting to learn Computer Science and how to code...
sadly I am final year of CS. LOL. these things happen when you study computer science in nepal and you are not smart lol.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
The list of projects that others are doing seems like this is an AI course. Those applications seem advanced to me. I am surprised that you imply that you are not a good programmer at this point.

• Sad
Likes shivajikobardan
I had mental health issues from 1st year to 3rd year, so I could not focus in my studied. PS the education quality is dang here(Although I believe I could have done lot better had I not had serious mental health issues at the time)...Probably there are 20 students out of 50 students who can code(I am being really generous)

How about a music generation program? You could train an ML with favorite songs and then have It judge a song it generated. It could use the existing songs to generate new ones.

Another would be to imitate the Eureqa program which teased the equations of motion from experimental data of a compound pendulum. It would involve genetic algorithms where you generate a set of possible solutions and then test them against the data scoring them for closeness. You could limit the search to polynomial functions.

The technique is known as symbolic regression

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_regression

• Skeptical
Likes shivajikobardan
jedishrfu said:
How about a music generation program? You could train an ML with favorite songs and then have It judge a song it generated. It could use the existing songs to generate new ones.

Another would be to imitate the Eureqa program which teased the equations of motion from experimental data of a compound pendulum. It would involve genetic algorithms where you generate a set of possible solutions and then test them against the data scoring them for closeness. You could limit the search to polynomial functions.

The technique is known as symbolic regression

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_regression
we are not planning to do any projects that don't have tutorials online. our level is not that high at the moment.

If you choose a subject you are interested in then you will be motivated to complete the project well.

If you choose a subject where metrics can be clearly defined then it will be easier to construct the model.

If you choose a subject which has readily accessible training data then it will be easier to train and test the model.

So choose a subject which you are interested in with clearly definable metrics and where there is readily accessible training and test data.

Likes jedishrfu and shivajikobardan
OP has been warned not to create multiple threads on the same topic -- Two threads merged
1640764937747.png

1640764952712.png

My criteria for choosing this project-:

1. Should be easy.
  2. Should be doable in 1.5 months.
  3. Should not to be too easy and should be just hard enough to be a major project.
  4. It is a group project but since this is nepal lol mainly 1 person is going to do it. max 2 persons will do this.
  5. Our skill level is not much. The one who is doing the project knows how to code in django and is good with programming. I personally know the basics of python but I have never made any projects
  6. We will do projects that have course tutorial. The reason is due to 5) our skill level is not that much so.
these are the types of project our friends are doing for example. if you want to see the complexity of the project that our friends are doing so that you could help us choose it.

Yesterday I asked with 500 projects,today I am asking with around 20 projects, any guidance will be really valuable. If anyone wants full projects list just contact me I will share that.

Any project with a reasonably good tutorial should be easy to complete within a month. Why don't you pick a few subjects that you are interested in and watch the tutorials to see which ones look tempting?

Likes shivajikobardan
Thread locked for Moderation...

Thread re-opened after merging multiple thread starts. @shivajikobardan -- please keep your discussion on this topic here in your original thread.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a final year major project?

When choosing a final year major project, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and career goals. You should also consider the resources and support available from your academic institution, the feasibility of the project within the given timeframe, and the potential impact of the project in your field of study.

2. Can I choose a project that is outside of my major or field of study?

While it is recommended to choose a project related to your major or field of study, you may be able to choose a project that is slightly outside of your area of expertise. However, this may require additional research and learning on your part to successfully complete the project.

3. How do I ensure that my project is unique and original?

To ensure that your project is unique and original, you should conduct thorough research to identify any existing studies or projects on the same topic. You should also consult with your advisor or mentor to ensure that your project adds a new perspective or contribution to the existing body of knowledge in your field.

4. How important is it to have a mentor or advisor for my project?

Having a mentor or advisor for your final year major project is highly recommended. They can provide valuable guidance, support, and feedback throughout the project. They can also help you stay on track and ensure that your project meets the necessary requirements and standards.

5. Can I change my project topic if I encounter difficulties or obstacles?

In some cases, it may be possible to change your project topic if you encounter difficulties or obstacles that make it impossible to continue with your initial topic. However, this should be discussed with your advisor or mentor and approved by your academic institution. It is important to have a valid reason for changing your project topic and to ensure that the new topic aligns with your academic goals and objectives.