Which Sci-fi novels explore a diverse range of biological concepts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Docscientist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Novels Sci-fi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Docscientist
Messages
101
Reaction score
11
Hello friends,
I just wanted to know if there is any Sci-fi novel which involves a lot of biological stuffs.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The most recent ones would be The Martian with his need to grow food and The Expanse series with the proto-molecule.

However, the amount of biological references is not that great and is subject to sci-fi rule bending...
 
Cyteen is an interesting book/series.

You might look at some of Crighton's works. He was a doctor turned Hollywood Sci-Fi writer. (ex. Jurassic Park) His book Next might be just what you are looking for.

Allen Dean Foster is another Hollywood Sci Fier. His work strays farther from reality. (ex. Alien)

The Uplift Wars were good reads with some bio., but more other stuff. The same with some of Vinge's books.

As far as I know, only Crighton's were close enough to reality to have scientists denounce him in some weird sort of backhanded praise. (Why denounce a fiction writer because their science is off? Kind of crazy if you ask me.)
 
Hi @Docscientist:

Is your interest about any particular sub-field of biology, e.g., evolution, genetics, zoology?

Regards,
Buzz
 
I can't think of any sci fi which does not involve biological stuff.
 
rootone said:
I can't think of any sci fi which does not involve biological stuff.
Hi @rootone:

You have an interesting way of thinking about sci fi. Do you mean that because sci fi is almost always about living things, typically people, it is about biology?

I interpret the OP's question to be focusing on the particular science that is being fictionalized in a sci fi story. I believe that the first sci fi story specifically about biology is Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, the plot being about creating an artificial life from dead parts. From what I read, the most common biological sci fi science is genetics. The movie Gattaca is an excellent example. The Nancy Kress Beggars in Spain trilogy is my favorite genetics fiction story.

Regards,
Buzz
 
OK, how does I Robot involve biology? How about Snow Crash? Cryptonomicon? Reamde?
How about Enders game? Tons of examples. Just explain the involvement of biology in those stories.

Kim Stanley Robinson's latest, Aurora, has really interesting biological and ecological elements. Makes it pretty clear we may never inhabit the stars.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
I guess I was thinking of the fact that the storyline nearly always involves humans one way or another.
(Even though the main character doesn't have to be)
 
Larry Niven's The Known Universe megaseries, including Ringworld, involves a lot of biology: Alien biology, Protectors, evolution, non-organic biology.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Buzz Bloom