Which Shakespeare Play Tops Your List for Plot, Quotes, or Villainy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
45 replies · 9K views
Lay on, MacDuff!
An damned be him who first cries "Hold, Enough!"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
Cry 'Havoc!' and let loose the dogs of war!
Or let slip the dogs of war, even. :biggrin:
 
zoobyshoe said:
Your favorite? Much Ado? Challenge! You must defend that choice!
ummmm...'kay...I realllly like it. What shall I have to do to defend?
 
zoobyshoe said:
I hate to say this, but I haven't seen this one, (and don't really want to based on his other movies.)

I've seen the Olivier, and the Mel Gibson, both of which I liked...

Your street cred with the Mel Gibson Hamlet just went to ZERO! Sir Laurence I can see, but Mel Gibson?? Kenneth Branagh's version was fantastic. It had some fantastic scenery in it as well. Derek Jacoby is an awesome actor as well.
 
El Hombre Invisible said:
Shakespeare In Love was the best. That's why it won the Oscar.
You made my diet coke come out of my nose when I laughed at that. Please tell me you were joking.
 
As for the "Hamlet" movies:
Actually, I very much liked Mel Gibson's "Hamlet" (probably because of Glenn Close's appearance).
It's no match for Branagh's version, though..
 
Othello (and to a lesser extent Antony and Cleopatra)
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Keanu Reeves as Hamlet. :approve:
As funny as that is, he was actually in Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing! He was Don John, so (intentionally?) he didn't talk much. I think Branagh likes to put some better known American actors in his films just to tempt a wider audience to watch. Jack Lemmon (Marcellus), Charlton Heston (First player), Robin Williams (Osric), and Billy Crystal (gravedigger) were in Hamlet. Charlton Heston was good and Robin Williams was funny.
 
Keanu Reeves was absolutely horrible in Much Ado. What parts he did speak were pretty painful. He stood out like a sore thumb when in scenes with real actors.

You forgot Michael Keaton as Dogberry. He did rather well in that role I think. I even think Denzel Washington did an OK job. Jack Lemmon was a bit tough to watch in Hamlet but it was a bit part so it was OK.
 
FredGarvin said:
Keanu Reeves was absolutely horrible in Much Ado. What parts he did speak were pretty painful. He stood out like a sore thumb when in scenes with real actors.
A sore thumb??
You're not being objective; you should pay attention to his looks, as Evo does..












Runs and hides from somebody's wrath..
 
arildno said:
A sore thumb??
You're not being objective; you should pay attention to his looks, as Evo does..
Yeah, who cares if he talks. :-p
 
FredGarvin said:
You forgot Michael Keaton as Dogberry. He did rather well in that role I think. I even think Denzel Washington did an OK job. Jack Lemmon was a bit tough to watch in Hamlet but it was a bit part so it was OK.
Heh, I didn't forget- I thought to mention it right after I posted but let it go. :-p And Kate Beckinsale was Hero, though unknown at the time. Eh, she was unknown- it was known that she was Hero. :smile: Yeah, I like Jack Lemmon, but he was painfully bad. Billy Crystal wasn't so uncomfortable speaking, but I think he missed it. I would cast John Rhys-Davies as the gravedigger.
Have you seen A Midwinter's Tale? I think it's called something else in the UK. Branagh directed and (I think) wrote it. Laertes, Horatio, and Polonius are in it; They put on Hamlet in a little church. If you haven't and like them, it's hysterical.
 
arildno said:
Runs and hides from somebody's wrath..
I can bear the bad cameos. It doesn't ruin the movie and if it gets more people to pay attention to Shakespeare, it's worth it.
 
Evo said:
Yeah, who cares if he talks. :-p
Did I mention Don John was a nudist?
 
I didn't mention Kate Bekinsale because I don't know if she's considered a big start or not. What a transformation that girl went thru. Hubba-hubba.