Which state in the US has the most 4 year colleges to study engineering at

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
land_of_ice
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Are there more in say , Colorado, than there are in California ?
And Which state, given the choice, would you prefer to study science, engineering, or math in ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Off the cuff, I want to say MA and CA - but I don't have any empirical data to back that up.

I'd prefer to study in MA - MIT to be specific. Would I get in - well, you didn't ask that ;)
 
land_of_ice said:
Are there more in say , Colorado, than there are in California ?
And Which state, given the choice, would you prefer to study science, engineering, or math in ?

If I had the choice (money and intelligence not withstanding) I would of course prefer the best...MIT.

CS
 
In general, the larger the population of the state, the more universities it has. While MA is top heavy with good universities, I'd wager that there are more schools in CA, NY, TX, PA, etc.
 
TMFKAN64 said:
In general, the larger the population of the state, the more universities it has. While MA is top heavy with good universities, I'd wager that there are more schools in CA, NY, TX, PA, etc.

I agree TX does have quite a few engineering schools as well.

CS
 
TMFKAN64 said:
In general, the larger the population of the state, the more universities it has. While MA is top heavy with good universities, I'd wager that there are more schools in CA, NY, TX, PA, etc.
I agree - population is probably proportional the number of universities. Quality versus quantity is another discussion.
 
California has 33 ABET accredited schools. CO has 10. MA has 15. NY has 25. TX has 27. PA has 23.
 
If you think in terms of universities per square mile, MA beats CA hands down. :biggrin:

Hey... I just realized that Ohio (my home state) has 32 ABET schools, almost as many as California! Nothing in Cal Tech's league, but Case Western Reserve ought to be decent, if you can stand living in Cleveland. :rolleyes: (I grew up not far from Cleveland, so I'm entitled to poke fun at it. :smile:)

Add up Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin, and you get a total area comparable to California, and 92 ABET schools.
 
Last edited: