1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which statement applies to boiling but not to evaporation?

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    "Which statement applies to boiling but not to evaporation?"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which statement applies to the boiling but not to the evaporation of a liquid?

A The separation of the molecules increases greatly
    B At normal atmospheric pressure, the process occurs at one temperature only.
    C Energy must be provided for the process to happen.
    D All the bonds between molecules in the liquid are broken.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know, but to me B C D are all correct.

A is incorrect because: Boiling-Yes, Evaporation-Yes

B is correct because: Boiling-Yes, Evaporation-No (because occurs at all temperature)

C is correct because Boiling-Yes (supply heat to boil), Evaporation: No (Molecules with higher kinetic energies will just escape, no need to supply any energies to them)

D is correct because: Boiling-Yes (boiling occurs throughout the whole liquid, so all bonds broken), Evaporation-No (because I think that since only the fastest molecules escape, so it should not be "ALL bonds are broken".)

Can someone teach me about this? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It does not ask you which are correct though does it?
    It asks: Which statement applies to the boiling but not to the evaporation of a liquid?
    i.e. which ones are boiling-yes and evaporation-no?

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's only one that has a "yes/no" answer.

With regard to C, why do you sweat? With regard to D, I think it was asking about the water that has boiled or evaporated off. (Besides, boiling is not explosive. It doesn't happen all at once. I ccan turn off the heat to a pot of boiling water and it stops boiling.)

5. Nov 16, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because evaporation is a relatively slow process, you seem to have interpreted that side as merely some of the liquid evaporating. So you conclude evaporation does not satisfy D, and by imagining that the SVP at the liquid's initial temperature is above the ambient vapour pressure, some evaporation will occur without external input. OTOH, you've interpreted boiling as boiling all the liquid away. If you interpret evaporation as complete, you'll get different answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted