Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which structure is correct according to its name?

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1

cli

HI,

A chemical has a name of Bis(2-ethylhexyl) 1,6-hexan-1,6-diylbiscarbamate, I wonder which structure is correct (sorry it seems like I can only paste smile strings, You can see the structures by depicting them on http://www.daylight.com/daycgi_tutorials/depict.cgi): [Broken]

1.CCCCC(CC)CC(CCCCCOC(N)=O)(CC(CC)CCCC)OC(N)=O

2.C(OC(C[C@@H](CC)CCCC)(C[C@@H](CC)CCCC)CCCCCOC(=O)N)(=O)N

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't follow your link and I definitely can't make out your notation so, I'll try to answer it without referring to your 2 choices.

It is a bis(2-ethylhexyl) carbamate compound. That part structure is a urethane with two ethylhexyl groups attached to the nitrogen of the urethane.

It is also a bis-carbamate, so there are two of these bis(2-ethylhexyl)-substituted urethanes in the compound. They are separated by an n-hexane chain.

Soooo... if I were to attempt your notation, I would say it was:

(CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub]NC(=O)O(CCCCCC)OC(=O)N(CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub]

which isn't one of your choices (I think).

Good luck with it.

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3

cli

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help!

I couldn't retrieve the structure for (CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub]NC(=O)O(CCCCCC)OC(=O)N(CC(CC)CCCC)2[\sub], is this a smile string? Could you please let me know how I can get the structure?

I kind of understand what you mean, just want to double check with the structure to make sure my understanding is correct.

5. Sep 9, 2009 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't a smile string. It is my attempt to copy what I believed to be your nomenclature.

Note: Where you see "(CC(CC)CCCC)2NC(C=O)..." you should replace with "(CC(CC)CCCC)2NC(C=O)..."

edit: Hmmmm.... now the subscript is working!

Here's the SMILES code:

CCCCC(CC)CN(CC(CC)CCCC)C(=O)OCCCCCCOC(=O)N(CC(CC)CCCC)CC(CC)CCCC

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook