1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which subject did you find more difficult: upper-level math or physics?

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    I'm sure both math and physics come from different points of views, but for those who have experienced both, which field did you feel was more harder to understand and learn?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    Physics hands down--you need all that upper-level math but you also need to understand the actual physics related concepts.

IMO, of course.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    Math, hands down. The physics concepts and the applications of math necessary for physics were easy for me. It was when I decided I needed more pure math that I really had to work. Big Rudin cover to cover gave me many headaches. I doubt you'll get the same answer from two people, our brains all work differently.

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4
    Physics is much harder for me. In math it is always precisely clear whats being assumed and what exactly you need to do to solve a problem.

6. Feb 27, 2012 #5
    Physics overall.

But no class I've taken in physics compares to what I've seen from real analysis or topology. And then graduate level math just blows graduate physics away, again, from my limited exposure.

That's not really true at most universities. You use very little of the math one learns in a bachelors of math in physics courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook