Which telescope is best for amateur stargazing?

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Yashbhatt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Telescope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 10K views
davenn said:
it really depends on how you see yourself progressing with astronomy
If you already have a solid interest and want to get into the optical side of things ... yes I would still recommend getting a better scope for a start :)

Others just want to have a little dabble and see what it's all about and for them a cheaper scope is a good start till they can see if they want to progress further

Dave

I would like some advice on a few telescopes I have selected. Which one would be the best of these three?
(1) http://www.tejraj.com/national-geographic-telescope.html

(2) http://www.tejraj.com/sky-114eq.html

(3) http://www.tejraj.com/sky114x900ng.html

Thanks,
Yash Bhatt.

P.S. I know you will advice me to go for a bigger scope. But this is the maximum my parents would allow. If you know any other scopes that cost around $150, then please suggest them.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Yashbhatt
welcome back ... wow 11 months since we last heard from you ... hope you have been doing well :smile:

Yashbhatt said:
I would like some advice on a few telescopes I have selected. Which one would be the best of these three?

(1) http://www.tejraj.com/national-geographic-telescope.html

this a really small table top unit about a 4" mirror (115mm) ... wouldn't be my first recommendation, you are likely to outgrow it very fast
Yashbhatt said:
(2) http://www.tejraj.com/sky-114eq.html

this one has the same mirror size as the first one ... so you are not gaining anything optically. The equatorial mount would take some getting used to
Yashbhatt said:
(3) http://www.tejraj.com/sky114x900ng.html

this one also has the same mirror size as the first one ... so you are not gaining anything optically.
advantages
1) shorter tube - easier to pack for travel
2) mounting can be use in equatorial or Al-Az modes

--------------

this ...
http://www.tejraj.com/startracker-6inch-dob.html

6" mirror, Dobsonian mount

or this...
http://www.tejraj.com/startracker-8inch-dob.html

8" mirror, Dobsonian mount

would really be my recommendations to you. but they may be out of your price range ??
The thing is spending money on one of those little 4.5" scopes, you may well find you out grow it really fast
and you would have been better off putting that money you spent towards something a little bigger for a start :smile:

a 6" mirror scope is still a reasonably small scope
a 8" scope is the most common average sized scope for the majority of people
its a smaller number of real enthusiasts that go for larger scopes 10" and uphow's that help you ? :smile:

Dave
 
davenn said:
Hi Yashbhatt
welcome back ... wow 11 months since we last heard from you ... hope you have been doing well :smile:
this a really small table top unit about a 4" mirror (115mm) ... wouldn't be my first recommendation, you are likely to outgrow it very fast

this one has the same mirror size as the first one ... so you are not gaining anything optically. The equatorial mount would take some getting used to

this one also has the same mirror size as the first one ... so you are not gaining anything optically.
advantages
1) shorter tube - easier to pack for travel
2) mounting can be use in equatorial or Al-Az modes

--------------

this ...
http://www.tejraj.com/startracker-6inch-dob.html

6" mirror, Dobsonian mount

or this...
http://www.tejraj.com/startracker-8inch-dob.html

8" mirror, Dobsonian mount

would really be my recommendations to you. but they may be out of your price range ??
The thing is spending money on one of those little 4.5" scopes, you may well find you out grow it really fast
and you would have been better off putting that money you spent towards something a little bigger for a start :smile:

a 6" mirror scope is still a reasonably small scope
a 8" scope is the most common average sized scope for the majority of people
its a smaller number of real enthusiasts that go for larger scopes 10" and uphow's that help you ? :smile:

Dave

Yeah. I think you are right.

One more question I have is : Should I go for an equatorial mount or a Dobsonian? After all a Dobsonian is just a modified version of an alt-az mount.
 
Hi ya
if I was you, I wouldn't consider starting with any scope where the mirror is less than 6"

Yashbhatt said:
One more question I have is : Should I go for an equatorial mount or a Dobsonian? After all a Dobsonian is just a modified version of an alt-az mount.

for a first time scope buyer, I would suggest you would be better off with a Dobsonian type ( or any with an Al/Az mount)
this is because any equatorial scope that isn't polar aligned is a nitemare to use when trying to align on a star/planet etc
it takes a fair bit to get used to even when it's polar aligned :wink:

EQ mounts are great if the telescope has computerised controlD
 
davenn said:
Hi ya
if I was you, I wouldn't consider starting with any scope where the mirror is less than 6"
for a first time scope buyer, I would suggest you would be better off with a Dobsonian type ( or any with an Al/Az mount)
this is because any equatorial scope that isn't polar aligned is a nitemare to use when trying to align on a star/planet etc
it takes a fair bit to get used to even when it's polar aligned :wink:

EQ mounts are great if the telescope has computerised controlD
Thanks. I have decided that I won't start with a small scope.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn