Which Test Should I Use: Ratio Test or Root Test in Series Convergence?

In summary, the ratio test is used when the terms in the series can be simplified by division, while the root test is used when the terms can be simplified by taking a root.
aruwin
Hello.
How do I determine whether to use ratio test or root test in determining whether a series is convergent or divergant? For example, in this problem, ratio is used for no.1 and root test for no.2. Why is that? I need explanation, please.

Attachments

• test.jpeg
    test.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 49
Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
How do I determine whether to use ratio test or root test in determining whether a series is convergent or divergant? For example, in this problem, ratio is used for no.1 and root test for no.2. Why is that? I need explanation, please.

If your series has terms that will likely simplify with division (such as powers of n or factorials), then the ratio test is appropriate.

If your series will likely simplify by taking a root (e.g. because it has "n" in the power) then the root test is appropriate.

Prove It said:
If your series has terms that will likely simplify with division (such as powers of n or factorials), then the ratio test is appropriate.

If your series will likely simplify by taking a root (e.g. because it has "n" in the power) then the root test is appropriate.

Thank you!

Related to Which Test Should I Use: Ratio Test or Root Test in Series Convergence?

1. What is the ratio test and how is it used?

The ratio test is a method used in mathematical analysis to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio between consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges; and if the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

2. Can the ratio test be used for all infinite series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for series with positive terms. If a series has negative terms, the test will not be applicable and other convergence tests, such as the root test, should be used instead.

3. What is the root test and how does it differ from the ratio test?

The root test is another method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves taking the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of each term in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges; and if the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive. The main difference between the root test and the ratio test is that the root test is more useful for series with factorial or exponential growth.

4. When should I use the ratio test versus the root test?

Both the ratio test and the root test can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, but they are more effective for different types of series. The ratio test is generally preferred for series with polynomial growth, while the root test is more useful for series with factorial or exponential growth.

5. Are there any drawbacks or limitations to using the ratio test and root test?

While the ratio test and root test are useful convergence tests, they are not foolproof and may not work for every series. Additionally, they can be time-consuming and may require complicated calculations, especially for series with large numbers of terms. It is important to use these tests in conjunction with other convergence tests to ensure accurate results.